LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.01.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 25 16:03:33 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

25 January 2006 * Volume 01

From: Isaac M. Davis <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2006.01.24 (05) [E]

Ben J. Bloomgren wrote:

Críostóir,

> So when I see Irish written in things like the Universal Declaration of
> Human Rights, and it doesn't mention any places, which dialect is being
> used?

It's something called the Lárchanúint (er... I guess it literally translates
as Middle Dialect, though it's generally called Standard Irish). It's meant
to be a compromise (and grammatically, from what I can see, it generally
is), though in vocabulary it's actually somewhat biased against the Ulster
dialect.

> Can I see some samples and information about the differences between
> the three dialects, both spoken and written?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Irish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connacht_Irish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Irish

Personally, I find the Ulster dialect most interesting, and the Munster one
most... off-putting, or at least hard to understand, but they've all got
pretty interesting features: verbs are more synthetic in Munster, more
isolating in Ulster (I'm not sure about Connacht, offhand); Connemara
dialect slenderises final consonants in feminine nouns and changes the
plural ending  -anna to -annaí and -acha to -achaí.

Isaac M. Davis
----

Westron wynd, when wilt thou blow
The smalle rain down can rain
Christ yf my love were in my arms
And I yn my bed again

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Mentioning Irish, and returning to the fold, isn't anyone able to supply a
sound file to go with our anniversary Irish version
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=irish) or recruit
someone else to produce one?  People want to hear how all those "weird"
letter combinations are pronounced.

Of course, we could also do with an alternative Irish version as well as
with at least one Hiberno-English version.

And what about a *Scottish* Gaelic version?

Sufferin' ducks!  Quit pullin' the plumb!