LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.01.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jan 26 16:39:34 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

26 January 2006 * Volume 01

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.01.25 (02) [E]

Connemara dialect slenderises final consonants in feminine nouns and changes
the plural ending  -anna to -annaí and -acha to -achaí.

Returning to the fold also, has anybody researched the possibility that
Celtic dialects influenced Roman Latin to do the broad versus slender thing,
hence causing the Romance languages and later English to do the same? What's
the broader term for broad and slender outside the Celtic sphere if there be
one?
Ben

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

I often wonder that the apparent fact (?) that Old English had palatal
alveolars (<c> [tS] (tsh) and <sc> [S] (sh)) becore other Germanic varieties
is due to a Celtic (Briton) substratum, unless it is something that
developed from Old Frisian varieties.

Old Franconian, Old Saxon and Old (High) German do not seem to have had
pronounced as [sk] (later to develop to <sch> in Middle Dutch, Middle Saxon
and Middle (High) German, assumedly pronounced [sx], in Modern German,
Yiddish and all but the westernmost Modern Low Saxon varieties as [S] (sh),
remaining [sk] or [sx] in the the rest).  North Germanic varieties had none
of this, Danish still does not, and others developed it (and similar sounds)
fairly recently from <sk(j)>.  Dutch still have do not have [S] (sh) as a
native sound.

As most of you know, older _t_ and _tt_ changed into written <z(z)> as one
of the first special features of Old (High) German (ca. 750-1050).  This
have been identified as standing for two phonemes commonly represented by
<z> and <ʒ> or <z̢> (IPA zh or hooked z) in traditional Germanistics.  The
former is supposed to stand for [ts] (as in Modern German) and the latter
for an "s-like sound" (corresponding to <s(s)> and <ß> in Modern German) --
hence _tunga_ > _zunga_ ["ts_hUN(g)a] (> _Zunge_ ["tz(_h)UN@]) 'tongue',
_kazza_ > ["k_hats(_h)a] (> _Katze_) 'cat', and _watar_ > _wazzar_
(_waz̢z̢ar_) (> _Wasser_ ["vas@(r)]) 'water'.  Since descriptions of the
latter sound are vaguely given as "s-like," one wonders what exactly it was
like and how it differed from <s>.

As can be expected, I have a "wild" hypothesis in this respect as well.  I
rather suspect that <s> was pronounced not as an alveo-palatal as it is in
Modern German (also in Modern English) but a bit farther back, somewhat
closer to /S/ (sh), namely as it occurs extensively (i.e. in many dialects)
in languages that have no /s/ - /S/ opposition.  Examples are Dutch, Danish,
Finnish, Castilian (Spanish) and Greek.  Furthermore, I suspect that what
are now alveolar consonants in German were pronounced as alveo-dentals in
Old German, as they are in most Romance languages and, I'm told, in many
Insular Celtic varieties.  This would cause the High German shift _t-_ /
_tt_ to produce [ts] and _-t-_ to produce [s].  Thus there were two kinds of
"s": alveolar (<z>) and alveo-dental <z̢> (both voiceless).

experienced similar developments, where Northern Castilian developed the
latter into an interdental /T/ (th) sound and other varieties developed all
of them into /s/.)

What do you think about this?  It seems plausible to me in the light of
information found in today's languages without /S/ and the prevalence of
alveo-dental /t/ in Modern Romance.  The assumption that Old Upper German
has Gallo-Romance substrates may be relevant also.

I am almost done with an Old German translation of the wren story.  If I
produce a sound file to go with it I intend to use the hypothetical
pronunciation I described above.  Are any of you able to dissuade me to do
so?

Thanks, and regards,