LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.01.30 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 29 22:57:39 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 30 January 2006 * Volume 03

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Vocabulary

When travelling abroad in the US, UK and Germany I often have troubles with
quite normal vocabulary, although our languages are related.

There are false friends obviously, as e.g. "willen, kunnen, zullen" in Dutch
versus "wollen, können, sollen" in German.

But there is also quite some formation of vocabulary from a quite different
basis.

1. shoehorn

I had problems with my shoes some time ago, and I was looking for a "shoe
horn" in the US.
In Dutch the word I use is "aantrekker". (Limburgish from Vliermaal:
"oantrèkker")
I didn't know the English word at the time and I tried to translate from
Dutch, but without some improvised sign language I would never been able to
make myself clear.

In my big "van Dale" Dutch-English "aantrekker" is not listed.
nor are "schoenaantrekker", "schoenhoorn"
but "schoenlepel" is (translated as "shoehorn")
In the "English-Dutch' volume I find:
shoehorn, shoelift:   schoenlepel.

I verified in my big "van Dale" Dutch-Dutch
(since "aantrekker" might be just regional or "Belgian Dutch")
"aantrekker" is listed:
- aantrekker:
  1. werktuig om aan te trekken, m.n. voor (nauwe) schoenen.
  1a. (ook wel als verkorting van) schoenaantrekker
- schoenaantrekker
  1. (weinig gebruikt) schoenlepel
- schoenlepel:
   hoornen of metalen apparaatje, uitgehold naar de vorm van de hiel,
waarlangs deze gemakkelijk in de schoen glijdt. synoniem: schoenhoorn,
schoenaantrekker, schoentrekker

I checked for the German version in a warehouse in Hannover, some weeks ago.
There it was sold as "Schuhlöffel".

Van Dale "Dutch-German" gives for:
schoenlepel:
Schuhanzieher, Schuhlöffel

Van Dale "Dutch-French" gives for:
schoenlepel:
chausse-pied, corne à chaussure(s)

2. sunny side up

Similarely, when breakfasting abroad, I often do not find the English word
for the Dutch "spiegelei".

I learned, but often forget, it has to be ordered as "sunny side up" (I
guess as distinct from "over easy".)
(Over here we cook eggs, scramble eggs, make omelettes, but in the morning
generally fry them sunny side up with some bacon, but I'm not aware of
people flipping the eggs (intentionally) "over easy")

Van Dale "Dutch-English" gives for:
spiegelei:
fried egg; egg sunny-side up

Van Dale "Dutch-German" gives for:
spiegelei:
Spiegelei, (Zwitserland:) Stierenauge

Van Dale "Dutch-French" gives for:
spiegelei:
oeuf sur le plat, oeuf au plat, oeuf miroir

3. At some places in Belgium we can find the American "French's yellow
mustard"

Since this mustard is very different from the mustards we normally use (of
Dijon type), the importer, Zenobia in Wavre, did not translate as "mosterd"
(Dutch), "moutarde" (French) on the label added with local information, but
as:
Dutch:  "Hot dog saus"
French: "Sauce pour hot dog"

4. In the US there is (clearly?) a distinction between jams, jellies and
marmelades, cf:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/types_jellied_products.html

In my Limburgish (Vliermaal) we use "zjellei" and 'konfituur" for the very
same thing.
(Distictive though from "sjrowp" (siroop) made from sugar beets (with some
apple added),
 and from "kompot" (compote), generally made from stewed apple pieces or
rhubarb (or mixed))
(The gelatinous colored thing, made in the US from jelly powder, we
incidentally find in desserts, known as "bavarwaas" (bavarois, Bavarian)

In the Belgian shops I see, they mix "jam" (gelei), "konfituur" and
"marmelade" freely:

I see e.g. for the Belgian trade-mark "Materne":

Belgian Dutch: Wilde Bosbessen Confituur
Belgian French: Confiture de Myrtilles Sauvages
Belgian German: Wilde Heidelbeerkonfitüre

Belgian Dutch: Gelei met Frambozen
Belgian French: Gelée de Framboises
Belgian German: Himbeergelee

Belgian Dutch: Sinaasappelmarmelade
Belgian French: Marmelade d'Oranges
Belgian German: Orangenmarmelade

It is three times the same thing, made with quite a lot of sugar added
(sugar content 60% in all 3 cases), very slightly stiffened, with different
fruits though.

(When one sees the parallelism one may think there definitely exists a
"Belgian" language)

5 Chutney, Curry, Ketjap, Shi-i-take

An open question:
What words will we find for stuff relatively new as e.g. "chutney"
The first time a found it, I dindn't realize it could be eaten cold or it
had to be prepared as an hot sausage.
Momentarely one finds "mango chutney" in most drug stores, so it is becoming
popular, but no local word has been created yet.

Further:
"Curry" was just known as the green spicy powder for quite some time. More
recently though "curries" are coming on the marked in all colors and with a
variety of tastes. So the word, never translated, is becoming more gereric
for ..(??)

How do we deal linguistically with the increasing variety of soja sausages,
as e.g.:
"Ketjap Manis" (imported by Go-Tan in Kesteren, Nl), and many others?

Yesterday I saw a big variety of mushrooms from the far East in our local
drugstore (Importer in Belgium "Legumex").
Actually it was a rack with a variety of "Oosterse Chamignons, Champignons
orientaux, Orientale Pilze")
I tried one variety of browny normal sized ones.
On the label:
In Dutch: Shi-i-take
In French: Shi-i-take
Origin: China, Chine
I guess we are short of vocabulary again here.

Help, help,
Regards,

Roger