LL-L 'History' 2006.07.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 11 14:50:42 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 11 July 2006 * Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.10 (05) [E]

    From: 'Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc.'
    Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.10 (03) [E]

    It is a general opinion in the Aachen-Eupen area that Charlemagne spoke
    Öcher Platt.
    Cf. Publications by Witgens and others.
    Regards,
    Roger

I've also heard that he routinely spoke a Frankish-influenced Latin (proto-French
if you like) on a day-to-day basis, as he was surrounded by people of so many
different backgrounds.  I can't quote any sources though.

Paul Finlow-Bates