LL-L 'Auctions' 2006.07.12 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 13 00:20:51 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 12 July 2006 * Volume 07

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.12 (02) [E]

> From: 'Hugo Zweep' <Zweep at bigpond.com>
> Subject: -L 'Anniversary' 2006.07.11 (09) [E]
>
> Ben
> A Dutch auction is where the auctioneer starts with
> a high price and
> decreases that price until one of the particpants
> accepts the price being
> offered. This is the opposite of the traditional
> English type auction where
> the auctioneer starts with a low price and leaves it
> to the participants to
> raise what they offer.
>
> I don't know how far back the Dutch auction goes but
> I did see it as a small
> boy and clearly remember the auction room in
> Winschoten, prov. Groningen, in
> 1948 where farm produce was being sold by this
> method.
>
> Then, wouldn't you know, I grew up in Australia and
> became an auctioneer for
> a while of real estate by the English method. Often
> thought how I'd like to
> do a Dutch auction but the idea was too strange to
> find acceptance.
>
> Hugo Zweep

Hi,

Just for the record: this kind of auctions are still
in use every -early- morning for the commercial
auctions for wholesalers for products like: flowers,
vegetables, fruit and fish.

The auction for flowers in the Westland [close to The
Hague] is admissible for tourists, and these poor
people always go back to their hotels completely dizzy
by the astonishing speed of the prices going down. A
wholesaler has to push his button in parts of seconds,
or he is going home without flowers, or in the next
round he may have to pay too high a price.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

From: 'Ben J. Bloomgren' <godsquad at cox.net>

Then, wouldn't you know, I grew up in Australia and became an auctioneer for
a while of real estate by the English method. Often thought how I'd like to
do a Dutch auction but the idea was too strange to find acceptance.

Hugo,
I've heard that real estate is auctioned in Australia instead of having
agents and the like. Is that so?
Ben