LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.17 (09) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 17 23:16:43 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 17 July 2006 * Volume 09

From: 'Thomas Byro' <greenherring at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.16 (03) [E/LS]

Ron, et all:

I think that you have to look into the economics of cheesemaking. The
area I grew up in was poor. The typical farm had one milk cow, a few
pigs and chickens. The cows were not very productive. I believe that
the typical cow produced around 3 1/2 liters of milk per day. We
heard that in that far-off land of fable, Amerika, there were cows
that produced as much as 35 liters a day but we flat-out refused to
believe such tall tales. So what do you do with the milk when you do
not have refrigeration and transportation was poor? You skim off the
cream and save it for a few days. It keeps well and the resultant
butter actually improves as a result of fermentation of the cream.
The milk does not keep so well and you consume it in things like milk
soup. It takes a lot more milk than 3 liters to make cheesemaking a
practical proposition. you could hitch your horses to your wagon and
deliver several liters of milk to the local dairy every day but the
effort hardly seems worthwhile in terms of economic reward. Places
like Denmark and the Netherlands had much better water-borne
transportation, making it feasible to gather milk from many farms and
developing a centralized cheesemaking industry. It was not that they
were more clever than we were, it was that their circumstances were
more favorable to the development of wonderful smelly cheeses.

Tom Byro