LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.18 (012 [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 18 21:51:34 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 18 July 2006 * Volume 02

From: 'Thomas Byro' <greenherring at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.18 (01) [E]

> Rikus

I recall the range of milk production running from 3 1/2 to 7 liters.
Let me put it this way, the wooden milk bucket would be filled perhaps
halfway during a milking and much of that was foam (delicious foam, I
might add). These cows were not bred to maximize milk production like
in a modern factory farm. They produced enough milk for the family's
needs. The typical farm was not geared to the demands of a market.
There would have been little incentive to produce milk in greatly
excessive amounts.

I left my homeland in 1955 and massive change was allready underway.
Roads were being paved, horses and oxen werre giving way to tractors,
the local windmill converted over to diesel power, etc. I remember
hearing about a combine in opertion in the area. We kids all rushed
over to watch this wonder in operation in open mouthed astonishment.
We couldn't have been more thrilled if a flying saucer from Mars had
just landed. In my early childhood though, I don't think that life had
changed much for the past 1000 years. There wasn't much to buy.
Everyone made their own clothing. The local store featured items like
sausage casings, sugar, salt , flour, canning jars, etc. If you
wanted things like cherries out of season, you had to have put them up
in jars while they were growing on the trees. You could not just go
to a store and buy canned goods. The portion of Germany that I grew
up in was a third world nation. Everyone spoke Platt. Poor as everyone
was though, I miss the world that I grew up in with its strong sense
of community.

Tom