LL-L 'Genetics' 2006.07.19 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 19 18:06:46 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 19 July 2006 * Volume 02

From: Clarkedavid8 at aol.com
Subject: LL-L 'Genetics' 2006.07.19 (01) [E]

> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> Subject: LL-L 'Genetics' 2006.07.09 (02) [E]
>
> This article on the BBC News site seems very relevant to some of the
> discussions we've had on Lowlands-L recently and in the past:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5192634.stm
>
> Sandy Fleming
> http://scotstext.org/
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Genetics
>
> Thanks a lot, Sandy.  It's very interesting.
>
> Am I misreading something, or is there a contradiction?  On the one hand they
> talk about apartheid, and on the other hand the guy says the British population
> got absorbed within the span of only a few centuries.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Thinking about this rather ticklish subject seems to oscillate. The rather
insulting idea that the British  isles were successively invaded by racially
superior people from the continent and inferior  (but perhaps more interesting
and poetic) people (Picts, Celts, etc.) were pushed to the fringes of the island
(and Ireland) is quite an old one, and seemed to inspire some of the works of
Henry Treece in the middle of the last century, for example. I thought the latest
idea was that the population remained pretty much the same and that the existing
population simply took on the groovy new fashions and languages of their
conquerors from Germany. This new idea seems to be taking us back towards the
1950s, although without the overtones of racial superiority as yet.

The comparison with Apartheid in South Africa does seem rather confused. The
long-term future of Afrikaner culture in South Africa seems doubtful and most of
the population in SA are surely not of Afrikaner stock?

David Clarke