LL-L 'Resources' 2006.07.23 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 23 19:48:16 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 23 July 2006 * Volume 03

From: Montgomery Michael <ullans at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear All

It is my pleasure to announce the birth of a new
website on the English of Appalachia. It is hosted at
my university and can be found at
www.cas.sc.edu/engl/dictionary.

This site is based primarily on my _Dictionary of
Smoky Mountain English_ (University of Tennessee
Press, 2004), having twenty short transcripts of
anecdotes (with accompanying audio versions and that
have highlighted terms keyed to dictionary entries)
taken from recording by my co-editor, Joseph Sargent
Hall, in 1939. The site contains much more, however,
includingn half a dozen articles I have written over
the years on Appalachian speech and an annotated
bibliography of more than 500 items on the speech and
language of southern and central Appalachia. These
various tools are meant for both the scholar and the
non-scholar and, I trust, will have some interest for
members of this list.

With regards

Michael Montgomery
University of South Carolina