LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.24 (01) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 24 07:38:44 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 July 2006 * Volume 01

From: 'Ria Noome' <ria.noome at deneloptronics.co.za>
Subject: LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.21 (02) [E]

Dear Paul Finlow-Bates
To reply on the cheese making. We make the most delicious cheeses in the world.
At our ARC (our agricultural) institute in South Africa in Irene we make
wonderful cheese and even in the Cape they make wonderful cheese. Try to find out
where the places are in South Africa where the cheese are made and you will find
we are one of the best cheese making places in the world.
ria

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Baie dankie vir die uiteensetting oor Suid-Afrikaans kaas, beste Ria.

In the meantime I've been informed that there is indeed a thriving cheese making
industry in South Africa, and that three types of South-Africa-specific cheese
are outstanding:

* Bokmakiri
* Kwaito
* Wookie

About Bokmakiri cheese I know that it is a soft, creamy goat cheese covered with
pepper and garlic.  I know nothing about Kwaito and Wookie cheese.

Also, there is a famous annual cheese festival (SA Kaasfees) in South Africa. The
next one will be  April 27–30, 2007.

There is a fairly good website dedicated to South African cheese:
http://www.cheesesa.co.za/

Looking around at the offerings of South African cheese makers, Gouda and Cheddar
are definitely predominant, hence one type of the Dutch school and one of the
English school.