LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.24 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 24 17:38:21 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 July 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Karl-Heinz Lorenz' <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.22 (01) [E/German]

I wrote:

>You're insinuating to the Austrians to be "Dackel" (synonym for Dachshund
> in sse
> >German) in the sense of "submissive persons" (cf. also: Dackelblick), i.e.
narrow minded bourgeois', bootlickers, ...

Gabriele answered

> But no, I would never insinuate such a thing, especially since some of my
> ancestors came from Tirol about 500 years ago...

Did your family need this Stammbaum for an Arierausweis? Hope your Tyrealean
ancestry was not harmful! (Grinning) From my father's side I'm too Tyrolean, in
particular Walser-Tyrolean with roots in Switzerland, also some hundred years ago.

> I once had a fling with
> an
> Austrian named Sepp (what else) when I was sixteen...

He probably didn't speak a single word in Standard German. About 90 % of the
people in the Tyrol never do. In this respect they are like Ahnold, who is
Styrian. In Terminator you can hear him: "I'll be back", "Hasta la vista", in the
German synchronised Version he doesn't even speak these few words, as he is
synchronised by someone else. Asked to synchronise himself, I suppose him saying:
"Na, dais maug' i naid mauchen, I kau koa Hauchdaitsch naid." (my own spelling)
Because of these diphtongs in nearly every word Styrians are said to sound like
barking dogs.

Btw I hate synchronisation of films instead of subtitels. I think this is the
main reason, why German, French, Spanish and Italian speaking people are less
proficient in foreign languages, especially in respect to pronunciation.

> and, of course, some
> of my best friends are Austrian (well, at least one of them is)! Also, I
> do
> not condone stereotypes based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion (insert
> the usual string of disclaimers here).

I believe you. I think, that is the typical political correctness in Germany
today. We Austrians like to play with stereotypes, just as our cartoonist and
paitner Manfred Deix.

While writing "narrow minded bourgeois', bootlickers, ex-nazi-collaborators,
still- and/or
crypto-nazis, Schwarzeneggers, Ahnolds, Waldheimers, tooth-brush-moustaches,
y-chromosome-wannabe-scientists, notsomuchgermanic-y-chromosome-havingand >
>alcoholically-y-chromosome-damaged Schrumpfgermanen ...", I had his cartoons in
mind. You can see a few of them on German Wiki:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Deix

Of these few I like most "Endlich in Pension" (And finally retired).

> I was referring to the American habit of calling a Teckel (the correct,
> official breed name - no serious breeder in Germany would call them
> anything
> else!) a "wiener dog" because their basic shape is that of a sausage, and
> what we would call a "Bockwurst" in German is usually called a "wiener" in
> America (and made into a hot dog - another connection).

"ssey vere infented in Fienna by a German butcher. He named ssem Frankfurter, but
sse vorld (exept Austria) knows ssem as Viener sausages."

The story is pretty complicated if you confer what wiki says about it:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_W%C3%BCrstchen

Bockwurst is a pretty long Wiener, isn't it?

> Of course they are vaguely badger-shaped, in order to be able to enter
> underground burrows. As ridiculous and overbred as they may seem to some
> people, they are actually very brave, smart and independent dogs by nature
> (as anyone knows who ever tried to train one). Once a Teckel is
> underground
> after a fox or badger, it's completely on its own, after all, and cannot
> rely on any orders or hints from its master to deal with the situation it
> may find there. Also, they tend to bark a lot, what makes them a little
> obnoxious as pets if they are not well brought up. But that is another
> survival trait: once the Teckel is stuck underground, because the burrow
> caved in, it is unable to turn around, or its return is cut off by the
> owner
> of the burrow, its survival depends on constant barking, letting its
> owner,
> the hunter, know where to dig.

Und bellende Hunde beißen nicht. Barking dogs don't bite, it's said. Austrians
are quite like that, but not always, just as the Teckel/Dackel, as you wrote further

> I once knew a dachshund named Wastl (actually, he belonged to that
> Austrian
> friend I mentioned) who was lying in the sun on the terrace, minding his
> own business, watching a group of young neighbours' children play (their
> parents worked, as I did, in the institute founded by Konrad - not
> Karl-Heinz - Lorenz, another Austrian of note)

(Unfortunately not related to me, as he was a Czech-German (called Südmährer oder
Sudetendeutscher. On the other side he is said to have had a certain
"Nazi-Vergangenheit".)

> when a rabid fox appeared
> out
> of nowhere and approached the children. Suddenly Wastl was among them,
> ripping that fox to pieces before anyone knew what was happening. Good
> thing
> he had had his shots, so he didn't end up like Old Yeller. Instead, he
> made
> it into the national newspapers, hero of the day! Never underestimate a
> Teckel.

Teckel und Dogge, just as David and Goliath.

> Back to the word dog/Dogge: I had been wondering whether it could be
> related
> to the verb "dock", because the kind of dog called "Dogge" in German would
> traditionally have docked ears and/or a docked tail (possibly because they
> were bred for fighting).

Dogge, Dackel, Teckel, Döggel all derived from the O.E. docga? Docga - dock looks
close, maybe that's it. Or: "One of the great mysteries of English etymology", is
it from the East, especially Middle East, as the dogs come from there, at least
partly?

The diminutive "Döggel" seems to me close to as I suppose the "Sachsen"
(Upper-Saxon) would pronounce Teckel and Dackel.

Regards,
Karl-Heinz

----------

From: 'Kevin Caldwell' <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.23 (04) [E]

> From: 'Global Moose Translations' <globalmoose at t-online.de>
> Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.23 (01) [E]
>
> Ron wrote:
> >But ... talking about the sweltering summer and heat and also about "dog"
> >what's the original idea behind "dog days (of summer)"? Surely our poor
> furry
> >friends suffer even more and require special attention in this heat.
>
> The Dog days, or Hundstage, are so named after Sirius, the "dog star",
> which
> shines especially bright in late July and early August.
>
> Gabriele Kahn

It's not that Sirius shines any brighter than normal, but that at this time
of year it rises and sets with the sun and therefore is in the sky during
the day. The usual explanation for the term "dog days" is that the ancient
Romans thought that Sirius added its heat to that of the sun, making the
middle of summer (roughly 20 days before and 20 days after the conjunction
of Sirius and the sun) the hottest time of year.

Kevin Caldwell