LL-L 'Technica' 2006.07.31 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 31 19:35:30 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 31 July 2006 * Volume 06

From: 'Brooks, Mark' <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.31 (03) [E]

David Clarke wrote: "...descent from Mel Gibson in 'Braveheart' in
particular."

With Mel's recent arrest and subsequent outbursts, perhaps they're right ;-)

Mark Brooks

----------

From: Heather Rendall <114426.1360 at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.31 (02) [E]

I sent this some days ago just before the Blip! Did I miss it on the forum?

Sandy wrote >It's generally considered that there's no real evidence that
American
Indians ever had encounters with Welsh people before Columbus,<

Actually Madog made two journeys. The first when as a younger son, he left
to seek his fortune. ( Or was he banished?) He then returned with stories
of a fine open land that he had discovered and he encouraged 3 boatloads of
people to sail away with him in order to found a colony in this other land,
This is how the story was able to be left in Wales.

It is thought he sailed up the Mississippi and took a right turn somewhere
( I forget where - Tennesee? ) and ended up with the Indians who were known
as the Mandans.

When they were 'rediscovered' in the 17th century, these Indians were the
only Plains Indians ( if that is the right expression) who used canoes :
theirs were rounds and are thought to have been versions of coracles,
their number system seemed related to the Welsh and they spoke of having
had a Big Book. An artist travelling with some early pioneers left drawings
of them and their artefacts.

Perhaps DNA will be able to prove something - just as it has for the
African 'Cohen' tribe.

Heather