LL-L 'Anniversary' 2006.06.09 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 9 16:20:36 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 09 June 2006 * Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

The updated and revamped version of our online anniversary presentation has
revealed itself with our switch to a new web hosting provider.

You will find it here: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/

Mathieu and I worked pretty hard on it and hope you like it.  It comes with some
new bells and whistles, as you will notice, if you haven't done so already.

The reveal came with a few recent contributions.  You can find links to them
under "What's New?" on the first page.

I am particularly excited about our Tyson's translation into African American
Vernacular English (a.k.a. Ebonics,
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/ebonics.php), and I am thrilled to see that
visits to his pages have picked up considerably this week.  And I love the audio
file Tyson added to it.  While I'm no expert, I have been exposed to AAVE for
many years, and I think Tyson's narration brings out his linguistic variety at
its "best."  Well, it sounds particularly smooth to me, and the characteristic
intonation comes out really well, like a gentle breeze in a silk curtain on a hot
Mississippi evening -- if you pardon the poetic outburst.  Thanks, Tyson!  Tyson
is likely to add a personal introduction in AAVE and Standard English.  Please
make him feel welcome!

Also, it great to have the addition of Cuijk (Kuuk) Low Franconian, contributes
by a non-member (http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/kuuks.php).  This variety,
used just west of the Dutch-German border belongs to the Cleves Frankonian
(Kleverlandish) group and is thus closely related to the Low Franconian varieties
used in Germany, of which we already have translations into two Mülheim varieties
and one Solingen variety, and from Dutch side of the border Venlo and Lijmers
translations.

Folks, let's keep this going!  Lost of people from all over the world visit this
site, and many tell me they find it useful and interesting in various ways.
Please come through with old promises and make new ones!  Round up and involve
family, friends and coworkers!  Please write to me (<sassisch at yahoo.com>).  I'd
be happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks in anticipation!