LL-L 'Anniversary' 2006.06.18 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jun 19 04:27:14 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 18 June 2006 * Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

I assume the current silence here in the speakers' corner is due to a combination
of good weather and soccer (football) fever.

I have request regarding our anniversary presentation (aside from my other
standing requests).  Those of you who are new to the List want to check it out here:

http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/

In the meantime -- and farther below I will explain why -- I have made various
language versions of the language link list:

English:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents.php

German:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-de.php

Spanish:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-es.php

Portuguese:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-pt.php

French:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-fr.php

Russian:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-ru.php

Chinese (simplified script):
Unicode encoding:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-zh-jianti.php
GB-2312 encoding:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-zh-jianti-GB-2312.php

Chinese (traditional script):
Unicode encoding:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-zh-fanti.php
Big5 encoding:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-zh-fanti-big5.php

I would really appreciate it if you would check out these version and let me know
if anything needs to be changed.

If you do so, please send your communication to <sassisch at yahoo.com>.  Please
also let me know whether or not you wish to be mentioned as a participant.
Either way is fine with me.  Just let me know.

Please note that with the language versions mentioned above we are likely to
reach the majority of world citizens with Internet access.

Access counter statistics clearly show that the majority of people are less
"adventurous" and "curious" than many of us are.  They tend to google less for
"exotic" things than for familiar things.  Typically, they want to find out if
and how *their* language varieties are represented on the Web, and it is from
there that at our anniversary site they are led to other language varieties.  So,
for instance the Turkish versions get a high percentage of hits from Turkish
sites, the Maltese page gets loads of hits from Malta, and so forth.  That's fine
as far as I am concerned.  Either way folks encounter unfamiliar, new things,
take at least a glimpse across a fence and learn that there are languages they
had never before known to exist or that they had assumed to be dead.  I think
this is quite an effective way of "luring" folks into the Lowlands arena, namely
via non-Lowlands languages, and hopefully they learn a thing or two in the
process.  Furthermore, it is pleasing to see that our presentation is visited not
only from virtually all countries but also from many educational institutions at
all levels.

This is also why I have added a wish list
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/wishlist.php).  People who google for
their languages are likely to find them mentioned on our wishlist, and some might
be provoked into contributing translations and/or sound recordings because they
would like their languages to be represented.  According to some mail I have
received, some people of "lesser-known" languages consider it a matter of "honor"
and "pride" to see their native languages on the Internet.

I very much hope many of you are still planning to add to this project, be it in
the form of translations, sound recordings, personal introductions or arranging
for other people to translate and/or record.  In any case, please get in touch
with me (<sassisch at yahoo.com>) about this.

Thanks!