LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.06.23 (02] [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 23 21:47:11 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 23 June 2006 * Volume 02

From: am114802 at ohio.edu
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.06.23 [E]

Greetings:

My family uses the verb "to ready" or "to read up" in the same manner as "to
clean, tidy, or arrange a room or storage facility." It has recently been
brought to my attention that many of those around me have never heard this
verb. Might someone be able to explain if this is an informal, or perhaps
regional (Ohio or otherwise Appalachian), usage? Perhaps someone might know
the etymology?

Usage examples:

"Will you ready the garage so we might store our bikes there for the winter."

"Please read up your room before the guests come."

Note:

Read in "to read up" is pronounced like the colour "red."

Sincerely,
Adam Moskey