LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.06.25 (02] [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jun 25 15:53:39 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 25 June 2006 * Volume 02

From: 'Stellingwerfs Eigen' <info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'

Henno wrote:
> In West Frisian we have the verb "oprêde" for 'to clean up', 'to tidy
> up after oneself'.
> So we could say "wolsto de garaazje efkes oprêde, dan kinne wy de
> fytsen deryn kwyt",
> to vary on the OP's example.
> The verb "rêde" also has meanings like "to take care of", not just
> "save", as "redden" in Dutch
> means (as save as in "saving a life"). In Dutch we have "beredderen",
> which also means something like
> taking care of.
> Our verb is cognate, I'm sure. The origin of the ê is a short [E]
? sound, like in ready.
? "redig" has [e:] from short vowel in open syllable, I think, so that

Stellingwerfs Eigen wrote:
> In Stellingwarf bruken wi'j daegeliks de woorden _redden_ en _rumen_ mit
> alderhaande variaanten.

I (indeed) forgot to mention that our Stl. words _redden_ en _rumen_ also
exist in the province Fryslân and used in almost the same way except in
writing. Difference in writing the verbs:
Stl. _redden_ is Frl. _rêde_ and
Stl. _rumen_ is Frl. _rûmje_ (ek: _romje_).

redden (Frl. rêde) = opknappen, nog in orde brengen, klaarspelen, verzorgen
opredden (Frl. oprêde) = opruimen, ordelijk maken, ontdoen van rommel,
netter, mooier
maken, vuiligheid wegnemen, viezigheid enz. weghalen, schoonmaken
anredden = opruimen, opknappen
beredden = opruimen en schoonhouden
ofredden = opruimen, schoonmaken
redderen = opruimen, schoonmaken, verzorgen
redderig = geneigd tot opruimen
reddigen = opruimen, schoonmaken
reddinge = dat wat men nodig heeft om op te ruimen resp. schoon te maken
uutredden = schoonmaken
hokkeredden = leegmaken van een hok of schuur
d'r mit redden (Frl. der mei rêde) = iets klaarspelen

oprumen (Frl. oprûmje, opromje) = ruim maken, ruimte doen ontstaan,
wegruimen, opbergen, uit de weg
ruimen, wegdoen.
anrumen = opruimen
ofrumen = afruimen
ontrumen = ontruimen
roemen = ruimte maken, schoonmaken, ontdoen van rommel, resten enz.,
ruim(er) maken

Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult

----------

From: 'jonny' <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.06.23 (06] [E]

Beste Reinhard, Lowlanners,

you wrote

> Might it be possible that _rütern_ ~ _rötern_ is related to _rout_ ~
> _roud_
> () 'rod', 'rood', 'birch' (archaic as a beating instrument), also
> '(primitive) broom'? If so, the original meaning would have something to
> do with
> sweeping.

and of course you're quite right here:
in special the LS _roetern_ we also know in the special meaning of 'to make
noise' ('Roeter-Meschiin', 'Roeter-Kasten'), like a '(primitive) broom' could
cause if it was swung by any dirt-obsessed member of the house (LS
'Hellboessen')... ;-). I'm no longer sure about my own assumption.

In Old Saxon I found:
_hreni_: rein, fein; E: clean
_hrenian_: putzen, reinigen; E: to clean, tidy up
_hrenon_: dito
_hroetan_: (Middle Low Saxon: _ruten_) schnarchen,krächzen; E: to snore etc.

and in Old H. German:
_redan_: sieben; E: to sieve, sift
_redi_: schnell; E: quick
_reddian_: retten; schütteln; E: to save and to shake
_reini_: rein, fein; E: clean, fine

BTW: Since a couple of weeks all mails from LL-L are encoded in West-European
(Windows) mode. Is it a mailfunction of my own mailing programm or caused by the
mailserver? At the moment I don't use umlaute for that reason.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Moin, Jonny!

Yes, I was wondering about a possible connection with _rötern_ 'to rattle', 'to
make a lot of noise'.  But it has the monophthong [ø:] ~ [œ:] (AS _roetern_), not
the diphthong [œ.I] ~ [O.I] (AS *_roytern_, Lower Elbe spelling *<reutern>).

What about the verb for 'to clean' that you mentioned (which was unknown to me,
by the way)?

P.S.: I have been using a different mail program since our move, but I switched
it to Unicode.