LL-L 'Anniversary' 2006.06.30 (02] [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 30 20:59:08 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 30 June 2006 * Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

Here's another appeal, cry for help or whatever you want to call it.

Our Anniversary site (http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/) enjoys considerable
popularity, and we ought to keep the effort going.  Everyday lots of people from
all over the world visit the site, and there isn't a single page that does not
receive several visitors on a weekly basis, some receiving many each and every
day.  Among the Lowlands "core language varieties," the usually "lesser known"
ones at least keep up with the "better known ones" and some do better, and there
is considerable interest in precontemporary language varieties.  I keep getting
requests for more, particularly requests for sound files for already existing
translations, in Lowlands languages and non-Lowlands languages alike.

Don't you think we can do something about the remaining gaps?  Surely some of you
or your cohorts can record readings of the translations into Scots, Scottish
English, various American English varieties, remaining Low Saxon varieties, etc.
 People are looking for these, saying it is difficult to get hold of such
information.  Outside the core group they are also looking for sound files
accompanying the pages in Norwegian, Faroese, Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian,
Irish, Manx, Galician, Valencian, Catalan, Walloon, Sardinian, Papiamentu, Sami,
the listed Slavonic languages, and more ...  Surely, we should at least get it
together to have Spanish, French, Italian and Japanese sound files!  I have
prospects for Arabic now.  And it should really not be so hard to get
translations into Scottish Gaelic, Irish and New Zealand English.

I have now made various "strategic" language versions of the list of available
language varieties:

English: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents.php
Dutch: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-nl.php
German: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-de.php
French: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-fr.php
Spanish: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-es.php
Portuguese: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-pt.php
Russian: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-ru.php
Indonesian/Malay: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-id-my.php
Chinese (simp.): http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-zh-jianti.php
Chinese (trad.): http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents-zh-fanti.php

I need you or your contacts to check them for accuracy.  I got some feedback on
the French and Portuguese versions and could really do with more, given that we
have native or near-native speakers of all of the above on this list.  If you do
not wish me to acknlowledge your help, please tell me.

So, yes, I know ... summer weather ... soccer world cup (what a game between
Germany and Argentina today!) ... but come on now!

Please send the goodies to sassisch at yahoo.com .

Cheers!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: A happy Fourth of July weekend to our friends in and from the United States!