LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.02 (07) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 2 21:25:40 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

02 March 2006 * Volume 07

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.28 (04) [E]

Great that you're mentioning my home area Hamaland!
Btw in the Netherlands we call it often Hameland, with an e.
It's interesting that the old Chamavi were no (Low) Saxons but Franks,
as in Chamavian Franks. Their language must have been Old Low Franconian
then, in stead of Old Saxon.
In the Western parts of the old Hamaland (the Chamavian area) Low
Franconian dialects are still spoken today, e.g. Kleverlands in Germany
and the Netherlands. Actually, in the town where I live nowadays, Duiven
(<Thuvine) a Kleverland Low Franconian dialects is spoken, and it was part
of Hamaland in Merovingian times.
In the core Hamaland of today, around my home town of Wenters
(Winterswijk) a characteristic Low Saxon dialect is spoken, which is quite
archaic and relatively close to Old Saxon compared to e.g. Northern Low
Saxon and Westernmore Low Saxon in the Netherlands, e.g. in Salland.
There is a group of Low Saxon dialects that I call the Hamaland Low Saxon
group, spoken in the Eastern Netherlands and adjacent areas in Germany:
the Eastern Achterhoek (Winterswijk etc), Twente (Enschede etc) and
Southern Salland (Deventer and surroundings)in the Netherlands, and
Westmünsterland (Bocholt, Vreden etc) and Upper Bentheim (Nordhorn)in
Germany. It has features of Westphalian but is more original, especially
also phonologically. E.g. : no diphthongs but monophtongs as in Old Saxon
long [e:] and [o:], where other dialects, incl. Westphalian, have <ou/au>,
<ei/ai> etc., or in the Netherlands [u:] and [i:].
Long <a:> from older lengthened short <a> in open syllables is not long
<å> from Old Germanic <æ:>, where most dialects have <å:> in all cases.
Final schwa from old unstressed vowels is not deleted; short <e> and <o>
are mostly preserved as [E] and [O], didn't become [e:] and [o:] etc., nor
broken to <ie> and <uo> as in Westphalian.

You can find a few examples of Hamaland Low Saxon at the A-site of the
LLList: the translations of the Wren story from Bokelt (Bocholt, NRWF,
Germany) and the one from Wenters (Winterswijk, Gelderland, NL).
The latter was translated by my grandmother and recorded by her proud
grandson

Ingmar Roerdinkholder