LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.03 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 3 19:12:38 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

03 March 2006 * Volume 09

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.03 (04) [D/E]

Hugo wrote:
>The earlier reference to lobs skos had a ring to it and, sure enough, I
>find
>that Patrick O'Brian has Aubrey and Maturin eating a stew called lobscouse.
>Follow that through and you get a Welsh dish called lobscowse - a beef
>stew - and, above all, labskause which is the original name for O'Brian's
>mutton stew called lobscouse, brought to Liverpool by seafarers and which
>ultimately gave us scouse, the Liverpuddlian dialect.

Ick, "Liverpuddlian" sounds like a truly awful dish...

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Karl Schulte <kschulte01 at alamosapcs.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.03 (04) [D/E] Food memories and idle
chatter

I seemed to have awakened a general sailor's stew discussion. As I was so
kindly reminded (thanks, it was wonderful) there is a whole series on this
in the archives. I encourage you all to revisit the archives and the
delightfull web page (which I misplaced the url for) (Reinhardt, you can
help??) with the sweet Gross Mutter-like lady and her lowland sachson
poetry, recipes, etc. I have now found 4 versions of lobscous and I will try
them all! We had no herring or egg in ours.
I was raised in a Norsk-American home full of rosemal cutting boards with
"Giv os idag vort daglige brod" and various Norwegian sayings and Norwegian
flags, Hambo and polka music and numerous Norwegians (American ones and
visiting sailors - we hosted N. maritime cadets and WW2 sailors as well as
relatives working on the SS Stavangerfjord, sort of an unofficial
consulate).

this thread has awakened many food memories, on my father's side (Emdeners)
and my mother's (Norge). As a boy, we lived in my Great Grandfather's house
(Captain Olaf Olauson, Norwegian American Lines, Ret.) on a hill at north
end of New Jersey shore overlooking Sandy Hook Bay and NYC on horizon. We
were fed lobscous and Norwegian pancakes (milk , flour, sugar, egg, fried
very thin and covered in butter, sugar and red currant jelly and rolled (Our
dentist's favorite food for us I am sure, it ensured a lot of income for
him!). We also enjoyed lutefisk (my grandfather made it in a crock in
cellar - tasted fine, smelled awful), sandkake (8 lb butter, 8 cups sugar, a
pinch of flour - at least that what they taste like; they could be lit and
burned like candles) and crumb Kake (like ice cream sugar cones) and a lot
of fish (fresh, smoked and salted/dried) especially herring and cod plus
bluefish, flounder and crabs (both caught by us in bay or given from deep
sea fihermen). An uncle had the last sailing fishing schooner in NY/NJ area
and he often dropped off 20 to 40 Lbs of blue crabs, etc. My favorite
Norwegian delicacy was the pancakes mentioned above and brown, sweet, rich,
fattening but oh so delicious Gjetost (Gjet = goat, ost = cheese). I still
get it even here in the midwest of USA (Missouri) under "SkiQueen" brand. I
enjoy food (can you tell?) and cooking and have worked as cook, restruant
manager and served on research vessel (shark study; we
caught/tagged/analysed them and sometimes ate them - mako is just like
swordfish, and caught bluefish in between long line sets). This was before
my 27 years at Motorola and as a Lansman/Resiervet? radio officer. I would
be happy to share family recipes (Frisian - father's side, Norwegian - Mom's
side and Greek - wife).

Bon Apetit!
Tusand Grussen
Karl Schulte
Jefferson City (where there are several hundred Frislander Schulte's) MO.
Also many Mennonite and Amish who still have their version of Deutsch.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hi, Karl!

> I seemed to have awakened a general sailor's stew discussion. As I was so
> kindly reminded (thanks, it was wonderful) there is a whole series on this
> in
> the archives. I encourage you all to revisit the archives and the
> delightfull web
> page (which I misplaced the url for) (Reinhardt, you can help??) with the
> sweet
> Gross Mutter-like lady and her lowland sachson poetry, recipes, etc.

The archive URL is this:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?S2=lowlands-l&q=labskaus&0=S&s=&f=&a=&b=

As for the lady, it's "my" Auntie Clara (who passed away not too long ago).

This is the website I made for her (sometime to be revamped):*
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/kramer/

Everything comes with English translations there.  The recipe index is here:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/kramer/contents09.htm

A labskaus recipe is there too (the usual North German bells-and-whistles
type):
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/kramer/labskaus.html

[* There's another piece about her (in Low Saxon, German and English) at our
anniversary site:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=clara-en .]