LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.08 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 8 20:38:03 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 08 February 2006 * Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.07 (04) [E]

Dear Heather,
you wrote:

> plain dumplings  covered in fried bacon fat + the cooked fat  .... with
> stewed fruit !
It seems to be a special variety of 'Backobst mit Klüten'. But usually the
bacon just is smoked, not fried.

In my early youth I once had been invited by a school-friend to take dinner
with him and his parents.
I still remember the menu: huge dumplings, made of wheat-flour, salt and
water, with milk-soup and small cubes of fat, smoked bacon.
(It doesn't just sound awfully, and I'm still grateful to my mother that she
preferred the more Eastern-German cuisine...)

A very traditional meal in my home-area 'Nordkehdingen'. If people asked one
another if they already had finished their meal they in LS always said:
"Hesst Du Dien Klüten all opp?". (_Klüten_[sg./pl.]: E: dumpling, G: Kloß)

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

BTW: You wrote
> Sounds awful in words
Why didn't you attach -ly here? Just a missprint or something else? I
shouldn't ask for that if it wasn't specially YOU...

----------

From: Karl Schulte <kschulte01 at alamosapcs.com>

Does anyone have a good old Norrwegian recipe for "sandkake" (the pastry
mostly made of butter and sugar and a little flour)?

Karl Schulte

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Our Jonny:

> (It doesn't just sound awfully, and I'm still grateful to my mother that
> she
> preferred the more Eastern-German cuisine...)

You and me both ... but our Eastern-derived cuisine, based on poor
clod-hoppers' "cuisine," wasn't much better, I'm afraid to say ...

I've always hated _kluyten_ (<Klüten>), low-nutrition "fillers" if there
ever were any.  Pasta, made from the same ingredients, is at least
interesting in terms of shape and texture variety.  There's a yeast-risen
type that is a bit lighter and more interesting: _geystkluyten_
(<Geestklüten>, Missingsch _Hefeklüten_, German _Hefeklöße_ "yeast
dumplings").

(South and East German equivalents of _kluyten_ (<Klüten>) are _Knödel_,
_Knödl_, _Knedl_, _Nedl_, _Nudl_, etc.)

> A very traditional meal in my home-area 'Nordkehdingen'. If people
> asked one another if they already had finished their meal they in LS
> always said: "Hesst Du Dien Klüten all opp?". (_Klüten_[sg./pl.]: E:
> dumpling, G: Kloß)

As a vaguely relevant aside that especially our Dutch- and
Afrikaans-speaking friends can relate to, please note that _kluyten_
(<Klüten>, which I assume is related to English "clod") can also mean
'testicle(s).'  So please be careful when you use the word.

Our Karl with an off-Lowlands request:

> Does anyone have a good old Norrwegian recipe for "sandkake" (the
> pastry mostly made of butter and sugar and a little flour)?

Here's a Danish one for cake (_sandkage_):
http://www.recipeatlas.com/danishrecipes/sandkagerecipe.html

Here's a Norwegian one for cookies (_sandkaker_):
http://sofn.com/norwegianculture/recipes/CookiesSandkaker.html

Somewhere I have Tant Clara's recipe for _sandkouken_ (<Sandkoken>), but I
can't find it at the moment.  I'm not sure if its a general German recipe or
a specifically northern one (obviously related to the Danish one).  There is
an English language recipe here: http://www.recipezaar.com/124001

"Sand cakes" are delicious, especially with coffee or tea, not to mention a
dollop of whipped or half-whipped cream.  The basic concept is that it's a
type of pound cake without any liquid ingredients, which gives it the
desired "sandy" or rather powdery consistency.  (This is why you need some
liquid *with* it, or else it can be a "kha-kha-kha" experience, especially
if you start talking after just taking a bite, which causes a major dust
storm in your windpipe and lungs.)

P.S.:
Jonny again:
> > Sounds awful in words
> Why didn't you attach -ly here? Just a missprint or something else?
> I shouldn't ask for that if it wasn't specially YOU...
"Awful" here isn't an adverb modifying the verb "sounds;" it is an adjective
modifying an omitted noun (the assumedly awful-tasting dish), something like
"(The description of) It sounds as if (the dish =) it is awful."  As far as
I can tell, *"tastes awfully" and *"sounds awfully" are always
ungrammatical. -- Folks, if you want to respond to this, please do so under
"LL-L Grammar" to keep it apart from the thread "Delectables."