LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.10 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 10 16:04:34 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

10 March 2006 * Volume 01

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.09 (05) [E]

Karl wrote:

I would
suppose it is akin to the Norwegian/Swedish level of seperation or perhaps
more like Danish/Norwegian (you must select from several flavors of Norsk:
Nynorsk, Bergen Norsk, Riksmal. Lansmal, hytegesprochet (???spelling
approximate).

Karl,
I am on a list on Yahoogroups about the Norwegian language. Riksmål and
Landsmål are older terms for Bokmål and Nynorsk before the 60's when
someone, whose name escapes me, created the term Nynorsk that he wanted to
combine with Bokmål to be used as a "pure" Norwegian language that was free
of centuries of Danish influence. According to what I have learned on that
list, Danish was the language of the educated in Norway until Norway gained
independence from Denmark and then Sweden. The common man spoke his local
dialect, and if he wrote at all, he wrote a kind of
Dano-Norwego-Danoswedish. It was a big stew pot of things because nobody
bothered to look into the local dialects as a written language. The
Norwegian people who moved to the US emigrated because of near third-world
conditions. Kids barely had to even go to school, and it was mostly about
the attitudes regarding Norwegian dialects as a written language.
Ben

----------

From: Karl Schulte <kschulte01 at alamosapcs.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.09 (12) [E]

It is strange you say that, as I have same feeling with German (which I
understand somewhat) and related tongues; it is as though if were only
to listen a bit harder, I'd understand all (but don't).
Karl Schulte

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Paul Finlow-Bates:

> I can't explain why, but the effect of Jutish on me is the same as
> Danish -
> whenever I hear it I feel like I should understand it, but don't quite.
> Sort of like overhearing a Geordie conversation with too much background
> noise to make out the words.
>
> I like to imagine it's some sort of call from my ancient roots, but then I
> wake up.

Paul, I experience that, and I assume all of us have it to varying degrees
when we hear language varieties that have a similar sound to those of
languages we know, especially where you recognize a word here and there.

I have it particularly with South Jutish dialects, especially when spoken by
older people who still have the old-time sound down, in which case the sound
is rather close to that of Low Saxon  (while younger people have a more
Danicized sound, much like younger Low Saxon speakers in Germany and the
Netherlands have more German- and Dutch-influenced sounds).  Also, I
understand Danish (spoken at a "reasonable" speed), and this makes it appear
to me as though I should understand Southern Jutish far better than I do.  I
can only understand about 75-85% of written SJ texts, and I'm quite lost
when people speak at normal speed.  I suppose this means that I would learn
it quickly if I were exposed to it on an everyday basis.

On the other hand, when I occasionally hear people speak Upper and Uppermost
Allemannic (which is on a continuum with "mainstream" German) at normal or
fast speed, I have a hard time and tend to "zone out," probably because the
phonology is too "strange," and I have not been exposed to it enough.

Native American people tell me that they experience this a lot with
indigenous North American languages, especially within the area of the
Pacific Northwest (ca. from northernmost California to Central Alaska).
This occurs between languages that are not even genealogically related (if
you put aside the hypothesis that all the world's languages are ultimately
related).  The reason is that the phonologies of these languages (and to a
degree also many or most other North American languages) greatly overlap in
terms of areal features.  In other words, even unrelated languages of a
given area come to share a lot in terms of sound inventories and
phonological rules, and this makes them sound as though they were closely
related with each other, even if they are not related at all.  In the
Pacific Northwest, those are for instance glottalized stops, vowel devoicing
(creating what sounds like enormous consonant clusters), lateral fricatives
(like Welsh <ll>) and affricates, and syllable-final glottal stops and /h/
(which are common all over the continent).  In other areas, especially the
Northern Plains and the Northern Atlantic Coast regions, there are parallel
oral vs nasal vowel series, and there are phonemic tones (both of these e.g.
in Mohawk, http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=mohawk).
Partly as a result of widely spread areal features (and in part as a result
of a good century of intertribal contacts and mixing), "typical" Native
American English sounds rather similar everywhere, irrespective of the
speakers' native or ancestral language.