No subject

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 10 16:12:44 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

10 March 2006 * Volume 03

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: Re: LL-L "Grammar" 2006.03.09 (08) [E]

Karl said,

It is strange that the derivation of awful is an adjective having nearly
the opposite meaning (that which is full of , or inspires, fear and
respect - Awe.

Then there's awesome, which does mean commanding awe. It is interesting.
Isn't there another word that sounds similar to awful that means the
entrails?
Ben