LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.10 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 11 01:39:22 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

10 March 2006 * Volume 07

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.10 (01) [E]

  From: R. F. Hahn
  Subject: Language varieties

  Native American people tell me that they experience this a lot with
  indigenous North American languages, especially within the area of the
  Pacific Northwest (ca. from northernmost California to Central Alaska).
  This occurs between languages that are not even genealogically related
That's particularly interesting. All I know about indigenous American
languages is from books, and a display in Victoria museum (Vancouver I.)
with sound-bites for each tribal group in the Northwest!  I can understand
related languages sounding familiar - I remember reading that some Alaskans
can understand bits of Apache and Navajo, as they are Athapaskan languages
only a few centuries removed.  That's on a par wit! h English and Jutish I
guess.  But to learn that unrelated languages sound similar is strange, that
would be like me finding Indonesian or Mongol familiar.

Paul