LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.11 (03) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 11 23:44:52 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 11 March 2006 * Volume 03

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" was "Language varieties" 2006.03.10 (05) [E]

Hi all,

>>From a purely academic point of view I can understand why Ron writes:

>>not putting a lot of money on stories about Hungarian and Turkish
sounding alike. [snip] ...about Hungarian, Turkish, Estonian and Finnish
sounding alike and being "closely related."

However, I can also understand why people, especially those who do not know
a language well, erroneously believe that one language sounds like or is
related
to another. An ex-Rhodesian tried to convince me once that Afrikaans
actually
developed from English, and then she mentioned a few related words and
sounds.

I have no doubt that languages do rub stuff off each other and had the
interesting
experience donkey years ago (1969, to be exact) that my Namakwaland cousins,
with not much exposure to English, thought that my siblings and I were
speaking
English.

It was only years later that I realized that our Stad Afrikaans was
gradually rounding
a few vowels, and changing its t's and k's that are typical in English, and
which must
have sounded like English to our country cousins.

Is this not perhaps the case with the perceived 'similarities' between
Finnish and Estonian?

In Afrikaans the following phonological changes is typical amongst young
(pre 30's) and small
people, and I use the speech of my two daughters and 5-year old grandson:

gaan -> gôn
kyk -> kaaik
wyd -> waait
wat -> wot
maar -> môr
ma -> mô
ja -> jô
ek - aek

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Felix Hülsey <felix.huelsey at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Hallo Ingmar en allemaal,

na een drukke week nu pas een kort antwoord op de Hamaland-mail.

In de jaren tachtig, als tiener, heb ik een paar jaar in het Hamaland
gewoond (in Reken, Groß(!) Reken om precies te zijn); we gingen toen
regelmatig naar Winterswijk, uiteraard om op de markt vis en kaas te
kopen maar in mijn geval ook om mijn Nederlands te oefenen.

Volgens mij leeft de benaming Hamaland bij de mensen helemaal niet. Is
dat aan de Nederlandse kant anders? De enige keer dat ik die naam toen
ooit hoorde was in verband met het Hamaland-museum in Vreden.

Wat je zegt over de dialecten komt precies met mijn ervaring overeen: de
mensen die ik indertijd Nedersaksisch heb horen spreken (vooral tijdens
mijn Zivildienst in een bejaardenhuis in Ramsdorf), deden dat inderdaad
met een vocaalsysteem dat min of meer met het Nederlandse overeenkwam,
een opmerkelijk verschil met de familie van mijn vaders kant uit
Oostwestfalen (Wiedenbrück en omstreken) of met de (zeer zeldzame)
dialectprogramma's bij de WDR-omroep die qua taal meer op de stad
Münster georienteerd zijn (waren moet men bijna zeggen). Het is wel zo
dat in Borken en omstreken het dialect toen nog relatief levendig was,
zelfs bij sommige jongere mensen.

Groeten uit Keulen
Felix Hülsey

----------

From: Felix Hülsey <felix.huelsey at gmx.de>

Hallo all,

another reason for some people to postulate a relationship between
Hungarian and Turkish was (and perhaps still is) the fact that in the
Uralic family, the closest congeners of Hungarian are Mansi and Khanty -
the languages of two small peoples in the Ural region leading a
lifestyle that was perceived by a few nationalist Hungarians as
uncivilised or even inferior whereas a relation with the Turks would
have provided a more warlike and heroic ancestry.

I am not an expert on Hungarian, though fascinated by it; I'm just
paraphrasing a theory put forward several times on this interesting forum:

http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?t=11331

All the best from Cologne
Felix Hülsey

----------

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: L-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.10 (05) [E]

Servus, you wrote:

> I suggest not putting a lot of money on stories about Hungarian and
> Turkish
> sounding alike.  I have heard this one umpteen times, also stories about
> Hungarian, Turkish, Estonian and Finnish sounding alike and being "closely
> related."  Listen to them, and you'll find that they sound vastly
> different,
> even from a distance -- only Estonian and Finnish (which are closely
> related) sharing a certain common sound.

This reminds me of an account here in Vienna, I've heard about a trainee
from Finland, they had to coach and they didn't know what to do with him
until they found out, he's able do understand Hungarian.

When I heard that, I said something like: "Oh interesting, that could be",
because I didn't want to offend or even expose the narrator, thinking to
myself: "Finnish is related to Hungarian, but not closer than German to
Irish (that's a comparison in the book "The Loom of Language" by Frederick
Bodmer, which I remember I've read in the early eighties. As I see, this
book is still available: http://www.micheloud.com/FXM/LA/loom.htm).

But what about the following: as a native of Western Austrian I always
found, that our language sounds totally equal to Rhaeto-Romance. You wrote
about it several times before, that it's not only the consonants but also
these falling vowels "oa", "ea", "ia" ..., the stress on words and sentences
as a whole, etc. When I hear Rhaeto-Romance from far, it seems to be
Alemannic and when you hear it clearly it's as if Italian is spoken with an
Alemmanic accent. And further I remember always when I happened to be in
Northern Italy, especially Piemont or Lombardia, that the Lombard accent is
surprisingly Alemmanic sounding. Some of them say "h" in the beginning of
words, for example: "io ho" (I have) is pronounced with the "h", not as "io
'o" as common in Standard Italian pronunciation, so it sounds the same as "I
ho(n)" or "I ha(n)" "I hia (hio)" in Tyrolean, Swiss and other Alemanic and
Alemanic-Bavarian varieties. Northern Italian dialects have about 200-300
germanic words in it, especially from the extinct Lombard language, which
was close to Alemannic and Bavarian (other linguists suppose it more
ingvaeonic and close to LS). And the other way round, our Alemannic and
Tyrolean has a lot of Romance words in it and it sounds like German with an
Romance accent, so I think, there's is a common Alpine sound of Romance
languages and Alemmanic-German.

Just some thoughts about your concept of South-Germanic as a group of it's
own apart from West-Germanic.

Cheers, Tschüss, Ciao or even better: Tgau, sin seveser

Karl-Heinz

----------

From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.10 (07) [E]

An interesting subject of discussion might be terms of invective (four
letter words), how they are constructed, why some languages are rich
in them and others not and how they can cross linguistic barriers.  I
worked with a physician from Argentina once who remarked on how poorly
supplied the German language was with terms of invective compared to
Spanish.  He told me that, while working in Germany, his German
friends had picked up Spanish curses and used them even though they
did not know their meaning.  He assumed that they simply liked their
sound.  I am told that Hebrew is also poorly endowed with these tterms
and that Israelis commonly use Arabic ones (the Arabic language
apparently being full of such terms).

Growing up here in New York, my younger son eagerly sought out all the
"bad" words he could in as many languages as possible.  By the time he
graduated High School, he could curse fluently in Spanish, Hungarian,
Japanese and Cantonese.  Not Mandarin though, he admitted with some
dissappointment. They didn't teach curses in Mandarin class and all
his Chinese friends spoke only Cantonese.  Unlike the Germans I
mentioned before though, he knows the full meaning of all these terms.

Tom Byro

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Ron wrote:
"Then you find some far northwestern Mandarin Chinese dialects without tones
and with suffixes, sharing areal features with adjacent Mongolic and Turkic
languages..."

I knew that one extreme north western Mandarin dialect had lost one of its
tones and that this was put down to Turkic or Mongolic substrate or
superstrate influence, but could there actually be a Mandarin variant that
had become completely toneless?

To bring it back to the Lowlands as well, what Turkic and Mongolic (or even
Sino-Tibetan) influences were there - if any - on the varieties spoken by
Soviet German migrants and deportees to Turkic lands?

Go raibh maith agat

Criostóir.

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.10 (05) [E]

Well, I do put my money on what my Hungarian friend told me, because he
had this experience himself, it is not just 'a story'. And I can understand
what he meant: Hungary is surrounded by German, Slavonic and Rumanian,
and other languages known there are mainly English, French and Latin;
in fact the Hungarians feel (and actually are) linguistically isolated,
whereas the other languages like Slavic, Germanic and Romance are part of
large language families (and even all related Indo European languages).
The phonology and structure of Hungarian is very different from IE, so
when a Hungarian suddenly hears Turkish, compared to the other languages
he knows (Russian, English, German) can sound quite familiar.
That doesn't mean Hugarian and Turkish are originally related genetically,
but now that I think about it: maybe we can say that languages can become
related later, even though they weren't at first. If we look at language
families the same way as human families: they became related through
intermarriage etc, so maybe we can say that Altaic and Uralian are in-
laws?

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, folks!

I see this one arouses a fair bit of interest.  Before I get to talk to our
Ingmar's response, first some responses to the rest of the interesting
postings.

Haai, Elsie!  Good to hear from you, as always.  There's most definitely
something to saying that languages "rub off on each other."  If this does or
eventually will lead to areal features is another question (though my theory
is that it might be able to).

When I listen to "typical," homegrown South African English spoken by native
speakers, especially when I listen to it from some distance, it sounds
definitely "Afrikaans" to me, meaning that it seems to have an "Afrikaans
accent."  I have heard other non-South-Africans say that non-"Afrikaner" SA
English speakers "sound Dutch."  Furthermore, I do not perceive a clear
dividing line between native Afrikaans speakers' and native SA English
speakers' accents in English.  (I could go into phonological details but
won't try your patience and hope you'll take my word for it.)  However, I am
pretty sure that things are not as clear to South Africans, certainly not to
speakers of Afrikaans and SA English, that to many or most of them the two
sound vastly different.  This is basically what I mean by "relativity."

I'm glad you brought up the case of Afrikaans, Elsie, not only because it is
Lowlandic. I particularly like the case of your Namakwaland cousins thinking
that you were speaking English when you were speaking urban Afrikaans.  This
is an excellent illustration of the point I tried to make for our Ingmar: it
is a question of relativity, just as much, if not more, a matter of
intellectual considerations and emotional responses as it is a matter of
actual aural perception. *And this tends to be subconscious.* Your Afrikaans
sounded so foreign to your cousins that, in conjunction with their probably
deficient English and their awareness of you living in the large
English-dominated and to them probably somewhat scary and rather alien
metropolis Johannesburg, their first emotional reaction (bewilderment) led
them to resort to the conclusion that you were speaking English.

Some of you have already heard the story that some Low-Saxon- and
German-speaking WW II refugees from the far northeast (Northeastern Poland
and Kaliningrad) to Northwestern Germany believed that the Low Saxon spoken
there (around the Lower Elbe, I believe) was English.  Well, I guess there
were those "English sounds" in that region (e.g., /ou/ ->[eU] and /ar/ ->
[a:] as in Southern England) and other non-eastern sounds, but locals and
English people would disagree that the two sound very much alike.  I submit
to you that the newcomers' reaction was more due to not understanding the
dialects while knowing that they had entered the British occupation sector.
Again, my point is that our perception does not necessarily come from one
source but is interwoven with emotional responses and intellectual
considerations.

Hi, Felix!  Well, Finnish, Karelian and Estonian do sound rather alike --
again relatively speaking.  To me, Estonian sounds like "clipped Finnish,"
but whenever I hear one of our coworkers in the office nextdoor talk on the
phone in Estonian and another in Finnish, I have to listen carefully to know
who is talking.  This perception, too, may be influenced by my awareness of
their close genealogical relationship.  But there is "that typical rhythm."
I wonder how Finnish and Estonian speakers think about that.

>From my reading and listening, too, I got the impression that, when
Hungarian academics began searching for their people's Ugric roots in the
Ural Mountains region, the average Hungarian was not terribly excited about
the closest relatives Khanty ("Ostyak") and Mansy ("Vogul") being spoken
mostly in small, "primitive," Siberian-looking villages by Siberian-looking
people far away, apart from the fact that those languages are not mutually
comprehensible and many of their sounds seem strange to the average
Hungarian, whose language has had centuries of Ugric isolation under
influences from Germanic, Slavonic and, yes, Turkish.  (Note also that Ural
Ugric rubs shoulders with Ural Turkic, primarily Tatar.)

So, lets not forget that Hungary was occupied by the Ottoman Empire for 150
years (mid-16th - late 17th centuries).  The Ottoman Turkish administration
was, generally speaking, fairly tolerant toward the occupied nations'
religions and cultures, and they employed mostly native mid- and low-level
administrators.  Though after liberation from the Ottomans formerly occupied
peoples customarily demonized the Turks and only talked about and
romanticized their own resistance fighters (and still do), many of their
ancestors under Ottoman occupation had tolerated and even admired Turkey,
had allowed their music, dance and cuisine to be Turkicized, and not a few
of them converted to Islam (and their descendants have been persecuted for
that ever since, as we can clearly see for instance in Bulgaria and in the
former Yugoslavia).

Turkish is non-European by origin, and it is "un-European" in structure and
sounds very different from Indo-European languages of the subcontinent.  So
is and does Hungarian.  You might say they are fellows in that regard, and
at least the average Hungarian is aware of that.  Even though the two
languages would sound very different to someone who has no prior knowledge
of them, I submit that this intellectual awareness, perhaps in conjunction
with emotional needs, is likely to influence a Hungarian's perception within
the context of Indo-European surroundings, even though he may honestly
believe that they sound similar to his ears only.

So there you have my response, dear Ingmar.  I don't doubt that your friend
truly believes what he says.  However, with all respect to him, I very much
doubt that his aural perception is the only player here.  What I do
absolutely refuse to believe is stories like one I read a long time ago,
where a Hungarian-speaking prisoner claims he and his Turkish cell mate were
able to converse on a rudimentary level by using their respective languages
and that they spent their time finding numerous cognate words in Hungarian
(Uralic) and Turkish (Altaic).  If they did so, they either must have been
extremely gifted or extremely deluded linguists or they had another common
language, at the time most likely French, aside from numerous French loans
in Turkish.

When I visited Eastern Turkestan (Xinjiang) after quite a few months of
immersion in the language and culture of faraway China proper to the east,
listening to local Russian, Oirat Monglian, Iranian Sarykoli and Turkic
languages like Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Uyghur and Uzbek was an almost religious
experience.  It felt like "being almost back home."  Had you asked me then,
I might have said that they sounded like European languages, just as many of
the people (especially some Uzbeks, Uighurs and definitely Sarykolis) looked
to me like relatives.  That was then, and it sure is different now, but
perhaps it underlines the point I am trying to make.

Maybe you ought to listen to background conversations in Turkish and
Hungarian yourself, Ingmar.  But chances are your willingness to put money
on your friend's words have already influenced your mind.  ;-)

Quae sufficiat addigitasse, amici. Pace tanti viri dixerim, at lacunas eorum
cum grano salis audintor.

Kumpelmenten,