LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.03.13 (15) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 13 23:34:14 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 13 March 2006 * Volume 15

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.03.13 (11) [E]

Leve Arthur,
> So no "yesterday evening" in Gothic b! ecause they simply had no memory of
> it.
> But they apparently had hangovers ('kattas"), which explains the net
> surplus in Gothic of terms for "rage" and "irritability", often leading to
> "bloodshed".
>>From what I know, the Germanic tribes had an oral tradition of their
>ancient
heros. I assume that the Goths did likewise. The lack of an attested word
for
yesterday might be much simpler to explain:

Almost all we know about the Gothic language comes from the Gothic Bible
translation. Unfortunately only half of the New Testament has survived.
(There is also another short extant text called Skeireins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeireins.)

So we can only expect to find a Gothic word for yesterday in Bible verses
containing these words.

Now check
http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=5504&version=kjv
which gives us three Bible verses of the New Testament that contain this
word:
* John 4:52
* Acts 7:28
* Hebrews 13:8
All of which are not covered by the extant part of the Gothic Bible
translation, which can be found e.g. in http://www.wulfila.be/gothic/browse/
In that website each and every Gothic word is linked to an online dictionary
explaining the conjugation and declination of the words. Quite a nice page.

Actually John 4:52 is a close miss. The extant part of the Gospel of John
starts at John 5:45.

So the Gothic word for "yesterday" was lost together with the missing pages
of
the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Argenteus.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann