LL-L "History" 2006.03.14 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 14 15:34:33 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

14 March 2006 * Volume 02

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2006.03.13 (14) [E]

> From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
> Subject: LL-L "History" 2006.03.12 (09) [E]
>
> Hi Ron,
>
>> By the way, what was that during the last elections in
>> Schleswig-Holstein?
>> The election results were pretty much even between Christian
>> Democrats and
>> Social Democrats, and then the Danish minority vote swung it in favor of
>> the Democrats, aided by the regulation that the Danish minority's votes
>> count heavier than non-minority votes in order to give the minority an
>> advantage (while otherwise it would make no real difference).  This
>> caused
>> a lot of consternation on the part of the Christian Democrats and
>> right-wing parties, I believe.  Wasn't it something like that?
>
> So to me that looks as if you have missed the most interesting part of
> it.
>
> For the sake of all readers: here is the story:
> 1) in Germany we only count votes of parties that get at least 5% of the
> votes.

How do they know they've got at least 5% unless they count them?

I suppose you mean take into acount

David Barrow

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <EZinsser at mhsc.org.za>
Subject: L-L "History" was "Language varieties"

Hi all,

A few hundred Boers from the defeated Transvaal and Orange Free State
Republics left South Africa in 1902 to settle in Patagonia, Argentinia,
Chihuahua, Mexico and, as I recently found out, also in the San Antonio,
Texas.

Afrikaans Radio transmitted a very interesting programme in the early 70’s
on the Boer people in Patagonia, Argentina. Some of the older folk could
still speak Afrikaans very well despite being married to Spanish speakers,
but younger speakers (there was a woman in her 40’s) spoke Afrikaans with a
very distinct Spanish accent.

Paul, for your enlightenment: The Cape Colony was ruled by the British since
1806. The Boers who left the country after the Anglo Boer War came from the
defeated South African and Orange Free State Republics. They lost a third of
their total population after 27,000 of their women and children died in
British concentration camps, they lost their farms and livestock and their
fathers, brothers and husbands were shipped out to every possible corner in
the southern hemisphere. See: http://www.anglo-boer.co.za/boerpow.html and
http://www.boer.co.za/boerwar/hellkamp.htm

Regards,

Elsie Zinsser