LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.14 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 15 00:43:01 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

14 March 2006 * Volume 11

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.14 (03) [E]

Hallo Elsie
I guess you mean vowel widening in stead of rounding, and that is
happening in Western (Randstad) Dutch, especially in Zuid-Holland.
According to Kloeke's 'Herkomst en groei van het Afrikaans', the
European part of this language is originating in the province of
Zuid-Holland, around the city of Dordrecht, near Rotterdam;
Dordt lies at the border of the Merwe(de) river (hence the very
common Afrikaans last name Van Der Merwe).

In this variety of Dutch, the diphthongs ij and ei, standard [EI],
are pronounced [aI], [a:I], long oo/o- [o:U] becomes [@U] etc.

Groeten
Ingmar

From: Karl Schulte <kschulte01 at alamosapcs.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.13 (05) [E]

All, where I grew up they sound quite different. The O in "Offal" is the
same as the diphthong in "oat", and close to "boat" or French" cote". In
many areas, this distinction is fading as pointed out below.  Don't we
all wish that everyone should speak correctly? Exactly like ourselves,
that is! :-)

Karl Schulte