LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.16 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 17 00:56:55 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

16 March 2006 * Volume 02

From: Isaac M. Davis <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.11 (045) [E]

Ron wrote:

> As though I didn't have enough to think about already,
> I've been thinking about the English word "beloved"
> lately.
>
> While in pretty much all Modern English dialects the
> <e> in past particial <-ed> is not sounded -- including
> in "loved" [lVvd] -- it is sounded in most people's
> varieties in the word "beloved" [bI"lVvId]
> ~  [b@"lVv at d] (though I have heard some people
> pronounce it [bI"lVvd]).
>
> What's going on here?  Obviously, "beloved" is a
> marked item in most dialects.  In other words, it is an
> exception from the usual rule in phonological
> processing.  This phonological marking applies
> usually, if not always, to non-nativized* or
> semi-nativized* loanwords, I am wondering if
> "beloved" is treated as a loanword, namely as a
> loanword from archaic English, as this word is only
> used in a non-everyday, poetic or oratory style,
> namely in a different register.
>
> If my theory holds water, this would mean that lexical
> loaning can occur within the same language, though
> from one variety to another.  We know that this can
> happen between dialects.  So why not between two
> varieties of different time periods?
>
> What do you think about this one, folks?
>  Furthermore, can you think of similar cases,
> preferably within the realm of the Lowlands?

I think you're onto something interesting here, Ron.

> * Here's an example of stages or levels, all three
> dialectical versions of "garage":
> Non-nativized:  [g@"rQ:Z]**
> Semi-nativized: ["gærQZ]
> Nativized: ["gærIdZ]
>
> ** "Non-nativized" means "closest generally
> acceptable approximation to the foreign
> pronunciation."
>
> Interestingly, this non-nativized version is prevalent in
> American English, while the other two seem to be
> prevalent in non-American English.

There's actually a third variant that I've heard, only from speakers who
grew up in Ontario (including one whose native and early home language was
Dutch, though he has no discernible Dutch accent now, in his 40s). If I'm
understanding the IPA (and the sounds used by the speakers) correctly, it's
something like [grædZ]. I think it might be on its way out, like the
pronunciation of 'batteries' as [bætriz]. I've certainly never heard it from
someone of my own generation (born in the '80s) or younger.

Regards,

Isaac M. Davis

--

Westron wynd, when wilt thou blow
The smalle rain down can rain

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hi, Isaac!  Great to see you're gracing us with another appearance!

> I think you're onto something interesting here, Ron.

Thanks, Isaac.  Much appreciated, especially coming from you.

> If I'm understanding the IPA (and the sounds used by the speakers)
> correctly, it's something like [grædZ]. I think it might be on its way
> out,
> like the pronunciation of 'batteries' as [bætriz].

I have heard Canadians say [grædZ], too.  So this appears to be more than an
idiolect.  I've hear [bætriz] in Australia -- actually more ["bEtriz] (since
Australian tends has narrowing: [E] for [æ], and [e] for [E]; e.g., _bad_
[bEd], _bed_ [bed]).

I see  [grædZ] as an alternative step within the "nativized" stage.  Foreign
stress assignment prevailed at first, but then nativization takes over in
the form of first-vowel elision so as to create a natively acceptable
monosyllabic structure.

Revision:

Non-nativized:  [ga"rA:Z] ~ [g@"rA:Z]
Semi-nativized: ["gærAZ] ~ ["gErAZ]
Nativized: ["gærIdZ]

For [grædZ]:

Non-nativized:  [ga"rA:Z]
Semi-nativized 1: *[g@"rA:Z] ~ *[gI"rA:Z]
Semi-nativized 2: *[g@"rA:dZ] ~ *[gI"rA:dZ]
Semi-nativized 3: *[grA:dZ]
Semi-nativized 4: *[græ:dZ]
Nativized: ["grædZ]

We should test out this model on other lexical candidate.

Cheers!