LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.24 (08) [D/E/F/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 25 01:10:08 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

24 March 2006 * Volume 08

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Introduction" 2006.03.24 (03) [E]

Ingmar zegt: There is no equivalent of LS 'glupen' in Dutch

Ingmar ik dacht van wel:
gluipen = loeren, gluiperig = huichelachtig, gluip = reet.
Jacqueline

----------

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.24 (06) [E/LS]

> From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2006.03.24 (02) [E]
>
> Hi, all!
>
> The discussion on the -s-suffix brings me to this:
>
> In Dutch there are several adjectives that suggest an original noun
> in the genitive case, according to many people:
>
> _mans_ = 'as a man, strong' (< man + genitive s?)

Yn it Frysk : mânsk

> _kinds_ = 'childish, senile' [note the paradox!!] (< kind +
> genitive s?)

bernsk (< bern = "kind")

> _tweedehands_ = 'second hand' (< tweede + hand + genitive s?)

twaddehâns

> _honds_ = 'cynical, boorish' (< hond + gen. s)

hûnsk

> Etc.
>
> If this _s_  is in fact a reduction of an older _sch_, is it then
> still reasonable to see it as a remnant of a case, or should one
> rather regard this as an adjectivation of a noun?
>
> Guess not.
>
> Regards, Marcel.

(en ek as fierdere befêstiging fan Ron syn opmerkings)

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Marcel:
>
>> _mans_ = 'as a man, strong' (< man + genitive s?)
>> _kinds_ = 'childish, senile' [note the paradox!!] (< kind +
>> genitive s?)
>> _honds_ = 'cynical, boorish' (< hond + gen. s)
>
> Nope.  Not genitive.  I have no doubt in my mind that these
> correspond to the noun+sch > adj/adv category.  Note, e.g., German
> and English: _männisch_ 'mannish', _weibish_ 'effeminate',
> 'womanish', _kindisch_ 'childish', _hündisch_ 'dog-like', 'canine',
> 'disgusting (in behavior)', _äffisch_ 'apish', 'affectated'.
>
> In English, this survives as a "pseudo-active" morpheme.  In
> certain social contexts, you can make up your own approximative
> derivations, and many of those end up being accepted and thus move
> into the official lexicon; e.g., accepted: "reddish," "grayish,"
> "whitish," "brutish," "bookish," "boorish," marginal: "biggish,"
> "oldish," "youngish," "sixish," "twelvish," "hunkish," ...
>
>> _tweedehands_ = 'second hand' (< tweede + hand + genitive s?)
>
> This one I'd consider adverbial _-s_, as also German _abends_ 'in
> the evening', _morgens_ 'in the morning', _nachts_ 'at night', Low
> Saxon _'s avends_ 'in the evening', _'s morgens_ 'in the morning',
> _'s nachtens_ 'at night'.  Yes, it seems to come from genitive
> forms, hence older LS _des avends_, _des morgens_, _des nachts_.
> Note also German forms like _eilens_ 'hurriedly' (< _eilen_ 'to
> hurry'), LS _glyks_, _vourts_, _straks_ 'right away' and _dwars_
> 'across'.  There's plenty of this in Dutch and Afrikaans, I believe.
>
> See, in Dutch all this has been obscured by _-sch_ and _-s_ having
> become homophones and homographs.  You need to look at historical
> forms and or forms in related varieties to etymologize these.
>
> Jonny:

Henno

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.24 (01) [E]

I've never actually heard or read someone use 'gluipen' in Dutch
so I don't consider that to be a real living Modern Dutch word. Maybe it
is a loan from Netherlands Low Saxon 'gloepen' ["xlup=m] from Drenthe etc.?
Dutch 'gluiperd' = creep however is very common.
Btw: in most Low Saxon varieties in the Netherland, Dutch ui is not [u:]
but [y], so uut [yt], huus [hys], tuun or tune [tyn] ["tyn@]. NB in Dutch
based ortho uu = [y].

But that wasn't the point in fact, my message was about the Dutch suffix
-ig [@x] where German Low Saxon has -sch [S]

Ingmar

Reinhard wrotë:
Ingmar:

----------

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.23 (05) [E/LS]

Moin Utz,
> Beste Jonny,
>
> kiek maal bi Wikipedia in: "Een Kater (oder Koter) is dat sülve as 'n
> Bolzen un de "Mann" van de Katten."
> http://nds.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kater
Dor frei ik mi ja bannig. Dat is dat eerste Mal, dat hier in LL-L wen unse
plattdüütsche Wikipedia as Referenz angifft.

Hartlichen Dank,

Heiko Evermann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Heiko:

> Dor frei ik mi ja bannig. Dat is dat eerste Mal, dat hier in LL-L wen unse
> plattdüütsche Wikipedia as Referenz angifft.

Dat wardt wul lest, un Dyn afryten voer de saak wardt voer dankt, Heiko.

Henno (benoarden):

> (en ek as fierdere befêstiging fan Ron syn opmerkings)

Tankewol, beste Henno.  Befêstiging is bot aardich foar my, befêstiging van
'e Fryske kant noch mear.

Frysk _-sk_ =/= _-s_ is ek in goed bewiis.

Freonlik en tenkber,