LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 26 18:06:34 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 26 March 2006 * Volume 01

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.25 (02) [E]

In Friesland (the Dutch province) there are a number of non-Frisian
varieties: next to Stadsfries, there is Bildts, Stellingwarvian,
certain dialects of the Frisian Islands (Waddeneilanden) and Kollumerlands.
They all have quite a lot in common with eachother and with Stadsfries,
also the Low Saxon Stellingwarvian. Bildts is said to be havily influenced
by Flemish and Zeelandic, Stadsfries by older Dutch and by "Eastern Dutch"
(Low Saxon coloured), Vlielands (Island) is in fact a North Holland Dutch
dialect.
I'll see what I can do to get a Stadsfries Wren, I know someone very
vaguely whom I could ask it to ...

Groeten
Ingmar

-----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>

Hi Ron,

I was looking at http://www.lowlands-l.net/ - there is a page about
Urban Frisian, with some examples of words in Dutch, UF and Frisian.  I
was intrigued to see that in some, UF seemed closer to English than to
either of the languages quoted.

Why I was really looking (and why I want to know when this language was
first recorded) is I am busy writing chapter four of my thesis, the
historical background stuff, and am trying to summarise the linguistic
situation in the Low Countries in the 16th to 18th centuries (when,
according to some authors, everyone spoke Dutch!).

Best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)