LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.28 (04) [D/E/V]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 28 23:53:57 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

28 March 2006 * Volume 04

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.28 (02) [D/E/LS]

> From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.27 (07) [E/LS]
>
> Dear Lowlanders, dear Ben Bloomgren and Kevin Caldwell,
>
> I like taking the Dutch word _stoep_ as a nice example of a
> Dutch/Afrikaans
> word which has entered World English in two ways. _Stoep_ was first used
> in
> New York in the 17th century where the high houses had porches and
> platforms
> leading to the houses' entrances. These were called 'stoep' by the Dutch
> and
> until this day, people in Northeastern US use this word, with English
> spelling _stoop_ for this porch structure.
> In 16th and 17th century South Africa, the Dutch built houses with
> verandahs
> which they called ' stoep', too. These porches are larger than the stoops
> in
> NY; contrary to USEng, SAEng writes the word in (Cape) Dutch spelling.
> If a South African were to go to Manhattan and he would ask if it's OK to
> sit outside, on the stoop, he will have made himself perfectly understood.
> The nice thing is that both in NY and in SA stoops/stoeps are still being
> built, so the word will live on.

I'd say that "stoop" is at least understood, if not actively used, all over
the US. I learned it from my parents, who grew up in Tennessee and Kentucky.
In my mind, a stoop is fairly small and usually made of concrete or stone. A
porch is larger, and often made of wood.

Kevin Caldwell

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.28 (03) [E]

For the ones who like to hear how the Stellingwarvian Low Saxon dialect of
South East Friesland sounds, I really advise you to visit
www.johan-veenstra.nl and click "beluuster stiekelstokkien".
Johan Veenstra is the most successful Stellingwarvian writer and poet and
his site changes these audio columns called "Stiekelstokkies" every month.
In the nineties, Johan Veenstra had a weekly column at Omrop Fryslân, the
Frisian "national" radiostation, and he became very popular and famous in
whole Friesland because of that, even though his language is not Frisian,
and he -as many Stellingwarvian Low Saxons- does not consider his home
area as part of Friesland... Johan is a good friend of mine and his
dialect is not very different from my own South West Drenthe Low Saxon
dialect. So please visit his site and listen to his Stiekelstokkien.
For anyone who knows some Dutch, Low Saxon, Afrikaans, Flemish or Frisian
it must be quite easy to understand... This month the column is about
names in Stellingwarvian Low Saxon for all kind of men...

www.johan-veenstra.nl

Enjoy it, please
Ingmar

----------

From: Roland Desnerck <desnerck.roland at skynet.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.28 (02) [D/E/LS]

Beste Lowlanders,
Mag ik er op wijzen dat de "oo/o" en de "ee/e", alsook de "au/ou" vroeger
beantwoordden telkens aan twee verschillende klanken. In ons West-Vlaams
bestaan die verschillen nog; in Oostende kennen we "kooln en koaln", of
"kooln en kwaln" weke (7 dagen) en waike (zwak). Enkel nog in de verste
westhoek van onze provincie zegt men nog "blaaw" (blauw), maar "vrouwe". Er
waren dus verschillende schrijfwijzen omdat er wel degelijk verschillende
klanken waren! Overigens zeggen wij nog steeds "mênsjhn, visjhn, wasjhn",
enz. Wij hebben dus inderdaad een zeer conservatief dialect. Uuze toale is
stief oederwéts én oal dad uut mien moend kompt doe zéls wa péjzn an 't
Stélliengwarfs.
Toetnoasteki én de nêstighéjd!
Roland uut Osténde.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

't Is oal fascinèrend, béste Roland. Bedankt!

't Volhende mè Nederlands spelling tusjn oakjes:

Oostêndsj  =  Nedersaksisj = (Engelsj)
weke   =   weke ~ week  (week)
waike  =  weyke ~ weyk [wéike ~ wéik ~ waike ~ waik]  (weak)
mênsjhn  = menschen  [mensjn]  (people, humans)
visjhn  =  vischen [visjn]  (to fish)
wasjhn = waschen [wasjn] (to wash)
vrouwe = vrou ~ vruug' [vrou ~ vroeg'] (woman)
blaaw = blau ~ blaag' [blau ~ blaog'] (blue)
??? = beden [beden] (to beg, to pray)
??? = beyden [béidn ~ baidn] (to offer)
??? = dood [dood] (dead)
??? = dout [dóut ~ daut] (does)
butn = buten [boetn] (outside)
kiekn = kyken [kiekn] (to look)
vrieloatn = vreylaten ~ vrylaten [vréiloatn ~ vrieloaten] (to liberate)

Bést hee, toetnoasteki!  ;-)