LL-L "Terminology" 2006.05.01 (02) [A/D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 1 16:36:09 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 01 May 2006 * Volume 02

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2006.04.30 (07) [A/D]

Hello everyone
Hey, Elsie, I just wrote in my previous message, please don't feel
offended because I don't know about the subtleties, sensitivities and
nuances of the ethnonyms in your language, nor in SA English, so I'm
really sorry that you do... As you say, "Afrikaander" is used in Europe,
well that is where I happen to live.

And again, Dutch is not the same as Afrikaans, so you shouldn't be
offended by Dutch words that have no insulting meaning in that language.
Unless you want to, of course... but I can't imagine that, because you
always seem like a nice, sensible and tolerant person to me.
Am I right if I guess that it has to do with the history of Apartheid that
terms like Boer and Afrikaander have become heavy-laden in South Africa,
but not necessarily outside the country?

Vriendelijk gegroet
Ingmar Roerdinkholder

>From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
>Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2006.04.30 (06) [A/D]
>
>Dag almal,
>
>Ingmar, jou pos waar jy na "Afrikaander" verwys het, is in Engels geskryf
en
>dus nie
>relevant in terme van die benaming in die Nederlandse taal nie.
>
>Jou inligting is ook misplaas en foutief: Ek is wel 'n Afrikaner omdat ek
>Afrikaans praat
>en as 'n wit persoon geklassifiseer was, maar ek is beslis nie 'n "Boer"
>nie.
>
>As jy my 'n "Boer" noem, is dit vir my dieselfde soos om 'n
Duitser 'n "Hun"