LL-L "Terminology" 2006.05.02 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 2 21:27:43 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 02 May 2006 * Volume 03

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2006.04.30 (07) [A/D]

Hi all,

Rikus, Afrikaans is the mother tongue of 'white' people who trace their
lineage back to the convergence of Dutch and Low Saxon sailors, French
Huguenots (1652-1806), and after 1806 some English speakers.

The largest group of Afrikaans mother tongue speakers are 'Coloured' or
mixed race people from Malay, Khoisan and Bantu stock.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser