LL-L "Terminology" 2006.05.02 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 3 01:19:38 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 02 May 2006 * Volume 06

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2006.05.02 (03) [E]

Elsie, ik ben heel blij dat je je niet beledigd voelt. Ek is baie bly dat
jy jou nie beledig voel nie (?!) I'm very happy that you don't feel
offended. Btw I've always known that there is a large group of Afrikaans
speakers that are not 'white', but I didn't know about the Boer versus
Afrikaner thing. Well, now I do. Is it so that you can call all (white)
Afrikaans speakers Afrikaners, but not Boere? And can 'coloured' speakers
of Afrikaans be called Afrikaners too?

Btw when is someone considered to be white and when coloured, that's
another difficult question from an ignorant European. Is it about the way
people look, or their names, their heritage, does their language (i.e the
way how they speak Afrikaans)has anything to do with it? Are there white
people who speak Afrikaans in a coloured way, and vice versa? Has this
changed after Apartheid? Etc Etc.

Ingmar - who is often seen as a 'foreigner' in the Netherlands because
of his darker hair, eyes and complexion, by both autochtonous and
allochtonous Dutch (are you Turkish/Italian/Greek/Middle Eastern/South
American/Indo ? etc). Some autos see that as a disadvantage, many allos as
a reason for solidarity (you're one of us, too...) When I tell them the
truth these autochtonous often appologize that they dared to ask me (what
an insult!). For me, I don't care too much, but I think it's one of the
reasons for my interest in other cultures, and it's also an opportunity to
come closer to allochtonous people because they'll trust me sooner.
Kaulana

>From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
>Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2006.05.01 (02) [A/D/E]
>
>Hi all,
>
>Thanks, Ingmar, Paul and Marcel for your views.
>
>Ingmar, I do not feel offended that you assumed that the Boer and
Afrikaner

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Terminology

Hi, Ingmar!

Probably inadvertently, you have entered a hot or warm zone.  Thanks for
doing so in a considerate manner and with honest eagerness to learn.

If I may toot our own horn for a second I say that this is where this list
comes in very handy, is very educational, because, despite a few scary
moments, it provides an opportunity to learn the necessary subtleties of
perception from insiders in a generally supportive and friendly atmosphere,
and for the insiders it is a great opportunity to educate and sensitize
their fellow Lowlanders.  We are very fortunate to have people like Elsie on
the List, people willing to explain these things to us.  I for one pass on
that sort of knowledge, and I hope everyone else does likewise.  That's the
List operating at its optimum.

Obviously you aren't the only one who grapples with the "Afrikaner" versus
"Boer" thing, Ingmar.  This is not only a matter of European ignorance
either.  I've been grappling with it for a long time, although I consider
myself a little bit more aware or at least sensitive than the average
non-South-African, and I have heard many British, American, Australian and
German people use the wrong terminology, even though they did not mean any
harm.  I suppose that as a German I find it a little easier to understand
how hurtful it can be to be thrown into the same pot of stew with people
that speak the same language but from whose pasts, views, attitudes and
cultures you need to distance yourself.  The media rarely help with their
few soundbytes of generalization.

Elsie mentioned Breyten Breytenbach and other well-known Afrikaans-speaking
South Africans that are "liberal" and have a history of assertion against
supremacist sentiments and and influences.  These are just a few stars from
among a large population of Africans of Lowlands European descent whose
language is being discriminated against in today's South Africa because of
unfortunate generalizations.   Before apartheid came to an end, the world
media focused on Anglo-South-African anti-apartheid activists, and knowledge
of Afrikaans-speaking ones was more or less restricted to the intellectual
in-crowds that read more in-depth literature.  We are still reaping the
fruit of this, because the rest of the world still hasn't caught up with
events in South Africa ... or anywhere else.  When I talk about Australia,
many Americans who consider themselves particularly educated raise questions
about racist immigration policies and the oppression of women, about stuff
that lies several decades in the past.  Many Americans, especially Jews, are
taken aback by me reporting about Jewish immigrants and Judaism as a state
religion in today's Germany.  The media and people's mental pictures are
slow in catching up, indeed.  It is up to us to educate ourselves beyond the
snippets a handful of media conglomerates throw at us.  But, yes, how to
find the time?

Nevertheless, especially you who are interested in Afrikaans or can read it
without having to study much, I wholeheartedly recommend reading some of the
newer Afrikaans literature, or otherwise you might kill two birds with one
stone and read good Afrikaans novels set in apartheid-era South Africa, such
as Mark Behr's _The Smell of Apples_ (also available in Afrikaans as _Die
reuk van appels_).  I find this sort of reading very rewarding.

A lot more could be said about this, but this is more than enough from me
for now.

So, thanks for braving these frigid waters, Ingmar, and for enlightening us,
Elsie, Mark and Marcel!

Cheers!