LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.05.03 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 3 18:08:34 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 03 May 2006 * Volume 02

From: "Global Moose Translations" <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.05.03 (01) [E]

Ron wrote:
>What this was about to begin with was your claim that "Mom" and "Dad" are
>unacceptable and demeaning choices in my translation of the Low Saxon
>song, when everyone else has been saying that "Mom" and "Dad" are the only
>choices within the given context in the vast majority of Modern English
>dialects (and going back a good way), that in this contexts "Mother" and
>"Father" would be perceived as inappropriate by native English speakers.

I still disagree. This is an old song, the LS version does not say "Mama"
and "Papa", but "mother" and "father", and any translation would have to
reflect this if you don't want to destroy the very essence of the song. This
has nothing to do woth modern language use at all. Or where you shooting for
a gangsta rapper version? In that case, I think it needs some more work. Go
ahead, I dare you. ;-)

>Where I come from, a translator has to choose equivalent lexical items
>optimally in conveying the original's assumed intent and tone, and this
>includes culturally, socially and idiomatically appropriate choices.

Exactly. That's why I complained.

>Whilst I do not want this to go the way of the battle of the sexes, let me
>just say that stereotyping and dicrimination affect men also, though in
>different ways, such as being branded a sexual predator by default, not
>being able to as much as smile at someone's child or having women let the
>elevator go by if you're the only on on it, etc., etc.

Now this is very much a cultural issue. I have encountered this kind of
paranoia in the United States, but not in Europe, or only rarely and in very
mild forms. I was also rather shocked that, while European are taught not to
go with strangers, American children aren't even allowed to TALK to them. So
how are they expected to develop appropriate social skills? I can also tell
you that the boys I played with as a child would all have gone to jail for
sexual harrassment if modern US law were applied. If a first-grader can be
suspended from school for hugging a girl (!), what would have happened to my
friends who thought nothing of peeing in the bushes right in front of me,
and daring me to do the same? Not to mention certain comparative studies
that are usually considered a normal aspect of childhood? :-)

I once had a Swedish coworker who used to be a Boy Scout leader in Sweden,
but gave it up after moving to the States. He said that if an eight-year-old
boy hurt himself badly in Sweden, the Scout leader would take him on his
lap, hold him and rock him, rub or blow on the sore spot and comfort him in
every way until the pain subsided. And then he showed us what the same scene
would look like in America... he bent over towards the imaginary child, with
both his arms held on his back and his whole body as distant as possible,
and barked "You okay"?

My friends in California where quite shocked when I changed my shirt on the
beach in the open (I was even wearing a bra!) and was about to let my
daughters, then 6 and 4, run around naked on the beach like they would in
most European countries. I was new in the country then and thought they were
joking when they said this could get me arrested.

Anyway, this whole debate just shows how laden language use is with
cultural, moral and political issues. Wat den een sin Uhl, is den annern sin
Nachtigall.

Gabriele Kahn