LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.09 (02) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 9 15:05:51 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 09 May 2006 * Volume 02

From: "Tom Mc Rae" <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.08 (07) [E]

On 09/05/2006, at 8:39 AM,
>> Wa2kbzKarl at wmconnect.com <Wa2kbzKarl at wmconnect.com> wrote:
>> was given tea and some
>> very odd sugar. It was in crystals about size of a grape (2 cm?),

I recall something similar in Scotland during my childhood we called
it 'sugar candy'.
It seems to have been common in England as well where there was a
song with a line
"You're as sweet as sugar candy'"
And an old nursery rhyme told how a certain boy
"Loved plum cake and sugar candy".
I don't recall encountering it in my later years in Britain and have
never seen it here.

Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia