LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.16 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 16 21:54:00 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 16 May 2006 * Volume 01

From: "Karl-Heinz Lorenz" <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.15 (04) [D/E]

>   Hi Karl-Heinz,
>
>   I'm going to Austria next month. Anything else you'd recommend - or warn
> me about!
>
>   Paul Finlow-Bates

Hi Paul, thanks fo asking me about Austria, I waited on or for something
like that on this list for a long time.

Don't know how to start so I try with football. Do you know Hans Krankl?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Krankl

Probably you don't know him, but in Austria and Germany he is known for

"helping his native Austria to their first ever World Cup in twenty years by
qualifying for football's greatest prize in 1978, where he had the honour of
being the player to score the winning goal against arch-rivals West Germany,
ensuring that he went down in the record books as being part of the Austrian
team which beat West Germany for the first time in 37 years." (quote from
Wiki)

For this he had some bad press in Germany, very bad, so he never played with
a German club, which is mostly the first destination for a sucessfull
Austrian footballer when going abroad.

And in this match there was also unlucky Berti Vogts, who functioned as the
12th player for Austria by providing Germany's own goal (Eigentor) and still
today he is blamed for that, but only in German press so:

Information 1: Austria hasn't got this kind of press as "Sun" in England and
"Bild" in Germany.

Additional about Berti http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Hubert_Vogts :

In der Deutschen Fußballnationalmannschaft war Vogts von 1967 - 1978
vertreten. Er absolvierte mit ihr 96 A-Länderspiele, wobei er 1 Tor
erzielte.

In E: He was also a member of the German national team from 1967 - 1978 in
96 international matches, scoring 1 goal.

So, maybe an Austrian wrote this part in Wikipedia, because I don't remember
Vogts ever scoring another goal than this "Eigentor" for Austria in
Argentina 1978.

But could he? Actually he was a great defender in the seventies in German
football and one of my great idols besides Gerd Muller, Sepp Maier,
Beckenbauer, Breitner, Günter Netzer ...

But why I'm telling you this? Well, Krankl was later commentator of football
matches on television and a great admirer of British football especially the
Scots, who he simply named as "die highlander" or better "sse highlendas"
with deep reverence.

And there's this comedian stuff about him to have watched "Braveheart" (as a
trainer) as a motivation before matches against "sse lowlendas".

Look at Mel Gibsons face http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braveheart

and Hans Krankl: http://www.sport1.at/coremedia/generator/id=3142684.html

I guess that's him singing the national anthem after watching something like
"Braveheart" (could not be Braveheart, because the movie is from 1995).

Yeah, there are a lot of people in the southern German speaking area who
regard the Scots, the Irish, Welsh as the "Highlander" and the English as
the "Lowlander", analog to the alpine Swiss, Austrian and Bavarian on the
ones side and the more lowlandic German in the North, whereas the line is
traced much more down in the South as probably in Ron's concept, in Bavaria
they call it the "Weißwurstgrenze".

Nun ja, I think I've written a bit off topic, because this is "Delectables".
So I mention "Leberkäse" and look at dict.leo.org and find this: "liver
loaf". Iss ssere really somessing like liver loaf in sse English? I rely so
much on "leo" but this one reminds me of a Monty Python sketch where a crook
was jailed for selling a totally weird dictionary "Hungarian - English".

Karl-Heinz