LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.16 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 17 05:06:13 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 16 May 2006 * Volume 06

From: "Kevin and Cheryl Caldwell" <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.16 (01) [E]

> From: "Karl-Heinz Lorenz" <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.15 (04) [D/E]
>
> Nun ja, I think I've written a bit off topic, because this is
> "Delectables".
> So I mention "Leberkäse" and look at dict.leo.org and find this: "liver
> loaf". Iss ssere really somessing like liver loaf in sse English?

In the U.S. we have liver cheese and liverwurst (also called Braunschweiger).

Kevin Caldwell

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

By the way, truly warm beer -- namely beer that is actually warmed up --
is a traditional remedy for colds in various parts of Germany.

Also, there are beer soups.

In his Low Saxon (Low German) poem _Aanten int Water_ ("Ducks to Water"),
Klaus Groth writes:

<...>
De Rünnsteen hentlank all int Trünneln un Snappeln!
Barbeent un plattföt un jümmer vergnögt!
Hier is de Kaekenguß! Beersupp mit Appeln!
Wackeli, gackeli - süh, wa se sökt!
<...>

AS spelling:

<...>
De rünsteyn hentlank al in 't trünneln un snappeln!
Baarbeynd un platfoytt un jümmer vergnoygd!
Hyr is de kaekenguss! Beersup mit appeln!
Wakkeli, gakkeli - suy, wa' sey soykt!
<...>

My translation attempt:

<...>
Down the gutter they go. It's all run, roll and grapple!
Barelegged, flatfooted, all the time full of joy.
The kitchen drain's here! Look! There's beer soup with apple!
Waddly, gaggly -- How they search! Boy, oh, boy!
<...>

It's a nice, longish poem.  I should translate the whole thing sometime.