LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.17 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 17 17:07:10 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 17 May 2006 * Volume 01

From: "Wesley Parish" <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.16 (01) [E]

> From: "Karl-Heinz Lorenz" <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.15 (04) [D/E]
>
> >   Hi Karl-Heinz,
> >
> >   I'm going to Austria next month. Anything else you'd recommend - or
> > warn me about!
> >
> >   Paul Finlow-Bates
>
> Hi Paul, thanks fo asking me about Austria, I waited on or for something
> like that on this list for a long time.
>
> Don't know how to start so I try with football. Do you know Hans Krankl?
<snip>

> Yeah, there are a lot of people in the southern German speaking area who
> regard the Scots, the Irish, Welsh as the "Highlander" and the English as

You know, it took me ages before I recognized the Scots as Highlanders.
Every
time I came across the term, I always thought of the Highlanders in the Papua
Niuginian Highlands.

You know, the guys who wear little more than a penis gourd and pig grease in
cold winds and chilly damp fogs in the Tropics.

Delectables in that place, in the bush as opposed to the comfortable pubs in
the towns, is sago baked on the stones with fish and/or pig meat with kumara
or taro cooked in the ashes; or a bird - probably bush pigeon - cooked in the
ashes.

Wesley Parish
> the "Lowlander", analog to the alpine Swiss, Austrian and Bavarian on the
> ones side and the more lowlandic German in the North, whereas the line is
> traced much more down in the South as probably in Ron's concept, in Bavaria
> they call it the "Weißwurstgrenze".
>
> Nun ja, I think I've written a bit off topic, because this is
> "Delectables". So I mention "Leberkäse" and look at dict.leo.org and
find
> this: "liver loaf". Iss ssere really somessing like liver loaf in sse
> English? I rely so much on "leo" but this one reminds me of a Monty Python
> sketch where a crook was jailed for selling a totally weird dictionary
> "Hungarian - English".
>
> Karl-Heinz
Mau ki ana, he aha te mea nui?
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku ki ana, he tangata, he tangata, he tangata.
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."