LL-L "Music" 2006.05.18 (01) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 18 18:51:00 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 18 May 2006 * Volume 01

From: "Dave Singleton" <davidsin at pt.lu>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2006.05.17 (04) [E/LS/S]

Hello Ron ,
Seems you found the Complaynt of Scotland, chapter 6 -- would it be to
much to ask which link you used ?
This is indeed the dance music and dances that I am endeavouring to
winkle out of the past. I am pretty sure that "Katzenpföte" is hidden
away in there somewhere -- and many a French/Flemish/Lowlands melody.
The main draw however is that this music was played by 8 shepherds on a
one drone bagpipes, trump,pipes,horns,whistles and a fiddle and thus one
of very few mentions of bagpipes in the 1500's.

As to Gariau or gariau being Welsh, I have absolutely no idea -- it
could also be just Gary - O ie someone with exceptional shoe fillers !!

have fun -- I am !

Dave

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Delectables
>
> Hi, Dave!
>
> Thanks.  Once in a while, a bit of affirmation is good for me, too.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have access to the tune and the dance steps.  It
> sounds very intriguing.
>
> "Gariau" sounds Welsh.  Is it?
>
> I did find a reference in what appears to be Old or Middle Scots:
>
> " ....it vas ane celest recreatio to behald ther lycht lopene, galmouding
> stendling, bakuart & forduart, dansand base dansis, pauuans, galzardis
> turdionis, braulis, and branglis, buffons vitht mony vthir lycht dancis
> the quhilk ar ouer prolixt to be rehersit yit nochtheles i sal rehers sa
> mony as my ingyne can put in memorie in the fyrst thai dancit al cristyn
> mennis dance, the northt od scotland, huntis up, the comount entray, lang
> plat fut of gariau, Robene hude, thom of lyn, freris al, ennyrnes, the
> loch of slene, the gosseps dance, leuis grene, makky, the speyde, the
> flail, the lammes vynde, soutra, cum kittle me naykyt vantounly, schayke
> leg, fut befor gossep Rank at the rute, baglap and al, ihonne ermistrangis
> dance, the alman haye, the bace of voragon, dangeir, the beye, the dede
> dance, the dance of kylrynne, the vod and the val, schaik a trot"
>
> For the benefit of those who just joined us (hello in Devon, Utah and
> Sichuan!), here's the snippet I posted:
>
> <...>
> De Rünnsteen hentlank all int Trünneln un Snappeln!
> Barbeent un plattföt un jümmer vergnögt!
> Hier is de Kaekenguß! Beersupp mit Appeln!
> Wackeli, gackeli - süh, wa se sökt!
> <...>
>
> AS spelling:
>
> <...>
> De rünsteyn hentlank al in 't trünneln un snappeln!
> Baarbeynd un platfoytt un jümmer vergnoygd!
> Hyr is de kaekenguss! Beersup mit appeln!
> Wakkeli, gakkeli - suy, wa' sey soykt!
> <...>
>
> My translation attempt:
>
> <...>
> Down the gutter they go. It's all run, roll and grapple!
> Barelegged, flatfooted, all the time full of joy.
> The kitchen drain's here! Look! There's beer soup with apple!
> Waddly, gaggly -- How they search! Boy, oh, boy!
> <...>
>
> I further said:
>
>> It's a nice, longish poem.  I should translate the whole thing sometime.
>
> Let me change the English version of the title to "Ducks into Water."
>
> Appended please find the entire thing in the original spelling.
>
> It sounds very much like a song and dance, being very rhythmic, clearly
> made for "flatfooted" duck dancing.  It reminds me of several duck songs
> and dances from all over the world, such as the lovely Polish song
> _Czerwone jabłuszko_ ("Red Apple") with the refrain starting with:
>
> GÄ™si za wodÄ
, kaczki za wodÄ
,

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hi, Davo!

First a correction:

> GÄ™si za wodÄ
, kaczki za wodÄ
,
> Uciekaj dziewczyno bo ciÄ™ poboda,

> My translation:
>
> Geese to water, ducks to water,
> Hurry, darling, or they'll bit you,

Obviously, this was supposed to be "bite" rather than "bit."

> Seems you found the Complaynt of Scotland, chapter 6 --
> would it be to much to ask which link you used ?

Not too much coming from you, mate.  I'm just glad I have a special
interest in common with you, too.

http://www.musicintime.co.uk/med.htm
http://davidkidd.net/14scots.html

Also take a look here, lovely stuff on Scottish Renaissance dancing:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol4/scd.html

It has three lovely examples of lyrics; e.g.,

For a reel (1590):

   Cummer gae ye afore, cummer gae ye,
   Gin ye winna gae, cummer let me,
   Ring-a-ring-a-widdershins
   Linkin lithely widdershins,
   Cummers carlin cron and queyn
   Roun gae we.

And a reference to dancing to instrumental accompaniment:

   He blew on a pype he
   Maid of a borit bourtre.
   Waytscath him by
   Dansit ane dandy

And one to dancing at church feasts:

   The folk that tym wes halely
   In-to the hall at thair dansyng,
   Synging, and othir wayis playing,
   As apon fastryn evyn is
   The custom, to mak Ioy and blis

Here's the entire _Complaynt of Scotland_ (in Middle Scots):
http://www.scotsindependent.org/features/scots/complaynt/

See also about English Country Dance:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol1/ECDorigin.html

Apparently, the Flatfoot was a dance in Early European-Era North America
as well and seems to have been preserved in some parts, notably in New
England and Appalachia, in the latter as a counterpart of clogging (which
may go back to Low Franconian areas as well).

By the way, clog dancing (on _holten tüffeln_ ~ _hulten tüffeln_ "wooden
slippers") was common in parts of the Low-Saxon-speaking areas also, such
as around the Lower Elbe.  (I believe those clogs had leather uppers and
may have influenced the Scandinavian types that became fashionable again
in the late 20th century.)

> As to Gariau or gariau being Welsh, I have absolutely no idea -- it
> could also be just Gary - O ie someone with exceptional shoe fillers !!

It sure looks Welsh (to be pronounced ["gariaI] in Modern Welsh).  And
remember that parts of Western Scotland used to be Welsh-speaking.  Gariau
is a surname also.  Maybe it's a Norman French name related to Gariault
and Gariot.

> have fun -- I am !

Trying desparately.

Cheers!