LL-L 'Lexicon' 2006.11.02 (01) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 2 19:50:22 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 02 November 2006 * Volume 01

From: Rikus kiers [kiersbv at tiscali.nl]
Subject: Concerns fleet

Hi all,

In Dutch we know the word Vliet which stands as far as I know for
naturliches Wasser p.e De Vliet streaming from Delft to Leiden and
Kagerplassen.
May be it contributes to the discussion.

Groetjes,
Rikus kiers

----------

From: John Duckworth [johncduckworth at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: Lowlands_List. Lexicon (E)

Dear Lowlanders,

I am finding the discussion about the exact meaning of the Plattdeutsch word
_Fleet_ very interesting; in England too we use the cognate word _fleet_ in place
names. In London, for example, the second largest river is the, now almost
totally subterranean, River Fleet. It is perhaps best known in the name _Fleet
Street_, named after it, which houses (or housed) the offices of all the major
British newspapers.The upper part of the river was actually called the Holbourne
(whence the area of London called Holborn), and the Fleet was the lower part that
flowed into the Thames.

In parts of the Thames marshes in Kent too, the word _fleet_ is used to mean 'a
tidal inlet' or 'a small creek'. Much farther away, In Dumfries, Scotland, we
have the _Water of Fleet_, a river that empties into Fleet Bay. In Lancashire we
have the town of Fleetwood, on the coast,

The _fleet_ element in these names seems to come from the Old English _flEot_,
meaning 'an estuary'. Holbourne / Holborn incidentally meant 'the hollow stream',
presumably because it ran through a very steep valley. Middle English _fleten_ (
from Old English _flEotan_), however, meant 'to flow', which I suppose ties the
words in with High German _fliessen_ (to flow) , and _Fluss_ (river).

The second element of Hobourne / Holborn is of note because it is the same as the
(usually) Scots term _burn_ , meaning 'a small stream'. (At this point I suppose
everyone is going to tell me it is not uniquely Scots!) And I presume the word
_burn_ , is cognate with the High German _Brunnen_ (a well), and Old High German
_brunno_  (a spring).

In Lancashire, the common word for 'canal' was _cut_, and the usual word for
'stream' was 'brook'.

John Duckworth
Manchester, UK