LL-L 'Language varieties' 2006.11.03 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 3 22:21:33 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 03 November 2006 * Volume 04

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder [ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL]
Subject: Afro-Dutch

Hi everyone

I borrowed a CD from my Sierra Leonan girlfriend, which I think is
linguistically very interesting (the CD I mean, but the girl too).
The artist is Morisadatu, a girl also from SL who lives in the Netherlands,
and she sings in Krio, English, Dutch and... Hindi (and some French as
well).

If you click on the link below

www.myspace.com-morisadatu

or

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?
fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=91528896

you'll see a picture of Morisadatu (real name: Fatmata Bangura) and can
listen to a few of her songs.

The one that is most interesting is Jigi Jigi, because it's in Afro-Dutch.
A kind of Dutch which reminds me of Afrikaans, both in grammar and
pronunciation.

Some of the lyrics of Jigi Jigi:

Mij hart ga Jigi Jigi
as ik sie jou

Skatjee, jij ben de liefde van mij leve, dat weet jij

Ik hou van jou, en jou hou van mij

etc.

In "correct" Dutch, that would be:

mijN hart gaAT Jigi Jigi (or rather: boem-boem)
aLs ik JOU ZIE

sCHatjE, jij benT de liefde van mijN leven, dat weet jij

ik hou van jou, en JIJ houDT van mij

etc.

The way she pronounces "ga" [xA:] or even [xQ:] especially reminded me of
Afrikaans "gaan" [xA:n]/[xQ:n], whereas Standard Dutch "gaat" = [xa:t].
Also note bilabial prono of w- in "weet" [we:t], whereas Dutch = [Peit],
but I think Afrikaans goes with Dutch here. Actually, Morisadatu
pronounces the Dutch word "weet" exactly the way people from Suriname and
the Dutch Antilles (Curaçao, Aruba etc) do.

I think Mori only has lived for a few years in the Netherlands and
probably her mother tongue is Krio (English creole of Freetown and parts
of the rest of Sierra Leone, West Africa), although she has a Susu name,
so that also might be her maternal languages (Susu or Sosso is a Mande
language from Guinea and SL).

Maybe her Afro-Dutch can learn us something about how Afrikaans was born.

Groeten
Ingmar

PS Ron, the list still uses only my old email-account, I tried to change
that several times. Can you help me, this old account will only work for a
few more weeks I think, so...