LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.02 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 2 23:00:05 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 02 October 2006 * Volume 01

From: Heather Rendall [HeatherRendall at compuserve.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.01 (01) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>A strange part of they check is a security agent touching the car body at
different places with a kind of cotton wadding. I still don't understand
what the purpose of that is.<

Can I suggest that they are loooking for the presence of explosives.
When my son served with the Army, a suspicious object was touched/wiped
with a kind of litmus material that changed colour if it detected traces of
explosives.
Perhaps that's what they are doing.

Heather

----------

From: 'jonny' [jonny.meibohm at arcor.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.10.01 (06) [E]

Beste Luc,

Du schreevst güstern:
> _Father_ however, has become either "våår" (now vulgar) or "vadder"
> (meaning "bad guy"...???
_vadder_ or _våår_ really in the meaning of "bad guy"?

In LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.26 (05) [E] and following I wrote:
“Wow- a word I'd never seen written before but existing in my mind: LS: _feller_,
I guess spoken like 'fellow' in Scots, for my imagination. I don't need to
explain it, do I? I indeed remember this word from my youthen times, but always
mixed it up with HG: _Vetter_ or even _Vater_ for a long time (up until
yesterday!) in my life. Of course- it's from the same stem...“

"It's of course very close to E: 'fellow', used for example in the way LS: 'Pass
opp/Wohr Dii, Feller!', G: 'Pass mal auf, Freundchen!', 'Kerl, nimm dich in
Acht!'. I have never heard it been used in the sense of LS: 'Hey is eyn gouden
Feller.'; G: 'Er ist ein guter Kerl.', E: 'He is a good fellow.'
BTW- I think its sound would be clearer if we wrote it this way: _F*æ*ller_ or
even _Fæll*a*_."

At he end Ron and I myself came to the result this could be an English loan,
perhaps from sailors or even from the times directly after WW II.

But now- your _vadder_ etc. is right aside and brings up very different light in
a different writing, which (slightly *brabantized* ;-)) could be _væller_,
because we like to shift from /dd/ to /rr/ resp. /ll/. E.g. LS: 'Ledder_ (G.
'Leiter') normally is spoken as 'Leller' in our dialect.

Very, very interesting, isn’t it? From ‘father’ to ‘bad guy’...! Could be a
Vlemish/Dutch influence into our language- caused by the *little drop of blood* ;-))!

Good old memory, that of the old Lady and mine ;-)! My mix-up with
'Vadder'/'Vater' was better than I liked to admit.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]

>From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
>Subject: Etymology
>
>If we go by regular sound shifts, German _Pferch_ should have the Low Saxon and
>English cognates ... tah-dah! ... *_park_. A quick check does indeed show that
>Middle Saxon has _perk_ and _park_, and Old Saxon has _perrik_, Middle Dutch has
>_parc_, _perc_, _paerc_, _parric_, _perric_ (> Modern Dutch _perk_), Old German
>_pfarrih_, _pferrih_, etc.
>
>Now, it is said that English "park" comes from Norman _parc_. But English also
>has the now archaic cognate "parrock" which appears to be native. Some sources
>claim that this group of words goes back to Latin _parrica_ 'compound'. There
>appears to be a complex jumble of Germanic words, non-Germanic words that started
>off as Germanic words, as well as non-Germanic cognates. Furthermore, Welsh
>_parwg_ comes from English _parrock_ while Welsh _parc_ (and probably Irish
>_páirc_) is likely to have come from French _parc_ via English _park_.

So what about English "paddock", meaning a field (of some sort - I'm
vague about that!).

parrock > paddock or vice versa?

Sandy Fleming
http:/scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Sandy (above):

> parrock > paddock or vice versa?

Absolutely!  I thought of it after I sent it.  The _OED_ also assumes "paddock"
to be an alternative form of "parrock."  I assume "paddock" is a hypercorrected
form of "parrock."

P.S.: Heather:

> Can I suggest that they are loooking for the presence of explosives.
> When my son served with the Army, a suspicious object was touched/wiped
> with a kind of litmus material that changed colour if it detected traces of
> explosives.
> Perhaps that's what they are doing.

That's precisely what it is.  They now do it to most larger electr(on)ic gadgets
in carry-ons at most US airports.