LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.05 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 5 15:01:56 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 05 October 2006 * Volume 01

From: Heather Rendall [HeatherRendall at compuserve.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.04 (06) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
> So, Heather, I don't think your theory of greater christian
> liberality on "The
> Island" can be kept...<

I'm not sure I intended to give the idea that I thought the early christian
church was in anyway liberal!
Far from it: dominant and domineering would sum it up more accurately.

How far down the North/South divide can one mark the use of
Sonnabend/Samstag?

Would Sonnabend have been 'created' because of the low church piety of the
Lower Saxons i.e. the day before Sunday i.e. start preparing for God's day?

How long can it be traced back, does anyone know?

Fascinating stuff!

Heather