LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.08 (02) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 8 19:07:43 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 08 October 2006 * Volume 02

From: jonny [jonny.meibohm at arcor.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Ethymology'

Beste Lowlanners,

following one of those postings which won't change anything but one has to write
down for one's own peace of mind...

My neighbour brought me to a very interesting matter regarding LS _karspill_, G
'Kirchspiel', E ~'the area of a single parish'.

It seems to be one of those words which made a very curious development. In all
older German/LS resources I found it written 'ker-/kar-spil[l]', until in the
17./18. c. people started to use G 'Kirch-spiel'.

In accordance with "DUDEN-Herkunftswörterbuch": the ending 'spil/spill' is
derived from the stem around G 'spinnen', E: 'to spin' (*), while the later
'-spiel' we find rooted in Old High German 'spil', Dutch 'spel' and LS 'speel'-
meaning all the same, namely 'playing around, dancing, singing'.
[(*)Maybe there's a connection to E 'spill' (like 'oil-spill'), because it
describes something similar, an area of a definited size spreading out from one
certain, central point...]

So in LS we have to make a clear difference between words of the '-spill'-type (I
just know two of them; the mentioned 'Karspill' and the 'Spill', E 'capstan'
[though here might be doubts allowed; on sailing-vessels it describes a big,
hand-driven wheel, and sometimes right upon the centre may sit a sailor with any
instrument to make music while the crew is lifting the anchor- 'er spielt auf'!])
and those of the wider-spread '-speel'-type.

I hadn't been aware of these relations in the past, because I grew up with the
wrong, nonsensic 'Kark-Speel', while in the neighboured regions people like to
say correctly 'Kar[k]spill'.

But- we always said correctly 'speelen' for 'to play' whilst others are making
around with the wrong 'spillen' for the same: G 'Spiel', LS (correct)
'Speel/Späl'', LS (wrong) 'Spill', E 'play/game'. (I fear Mr. Sass to be one of
them *others* because he allows 'Spill' alternatively... Water on my mill! ;-)).

Somewhat different is  G 'Beispiel' (E 'example') to LS 'Biespeel' or LS
'Biespill'; because GRIMM and DUDEN don't agree at this point. I'd never use
'Bie*spill* myself but always 'Bie*speel*, but that just might be a habit.

For further informations have a look at DUDEN-Herkunftswörterbuch, GRIMM online
and HARPER (online)ED.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm