LL-L 'Songs' 2006.10.23 (02] [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 23 16:25:43 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 23 October 2006 * Volume 02

From: 'Mathias Rösel' [Mathias.Roesel at T-Online.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Songs' 2006.10.22 (03] [E/LS/S/Danish/German]

> Pat, Lowlanders,
>
> I believe many North Germans that grew up at or near the coast tend to identify
> with a hoomp-papa waltz that is sometimes referred to as _Friesenlied_ ("Songs of
> the Frisians") in German, although it goes far beyond Frisian circles and is sung
> either in Low Saxon or German.

The lyrics were written by West Pomeranian author Martha
Müller-Grählert
(1876-1939). "Ostseewellenlied", a song on the Baltic Sea (!),
actually
is her poem "Mine Heimat" (1907). She wrote it during her stay in
Berlin, probably out of home sickness, in West Pomeranian Low German.
It
was set to music by Simon Krannig and was later adapted by another
author, Fischer-Friesenhausen, into the popular "Nordseewellenlied",
now
dealing with the Borth Sea.
--
Best,