LL-L 'Resources' 2006.10.24 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 24 14:50:58 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 October 2006 * Volume 01

From: 'Mark Dreyer' [mrdreyer at lantic.net]
Subject: LL-L 'Resources' 2006.10.21 (02) [E]

Dear John

Subject: L-Lowlands Resources

I hope I'm not too late with this info, & also that what I have here is
worth passing on (I also hope this gets to you).

Try to get hold of the book 'American Talk' by J. L. Dillard. First Vintage
Books Edition, September 1977. Copyright 1976 by J. L. Dillard: Vintage
Books, a division of Random House, New York.

I suspect it won't altogether satisfy you if as I expect your interest is
from the Dutch-speaking side of the issue, but it is the first & so far the
only book on the subject I have discovered that gives due deference to the
part Dutch communities & the Dutch language had to play in the genesis of
the American People. He is rather scholarly for a book directed to laymen, &
provides a comprehensive bibliography, again perhaps only peripheral to your
interests.

He has some weak points, leaning somewhat on the distinction between 'Dutch'
(Nederlands) & 'Dutch' (German) that apart from the Dutch West India Company
was not noticed at the time. You, particularly, ought to be able to haul him
up about a few minor misapprehensions in the evidence he brings to bear in
support of his own thesis, that Dutch, rather than German was a significant
factor in the early years of the American Colonies.

For my part it seems to me latter-day Americans haven't picked up on this
very important (proud & praisworthy, also) part of their own heritage, to
their own great loss. It lasted a fairly long time into the English Hegemony
& into the Union too.

It might tickle you to know that in 1836 a Landdrost (Judge & District
Governor) of the Eastern Frontier here in the Cape Province was an
expatriate, a native Nederlands-speaking American by the name of Martiens
Kuyler, predictably fluent in both English & Nederlands, & at ease with a
household patois very close indeed to the Taal, or Afrikaans, the dialect
spoken by the locals. He was, so it seemed to the British occupying power, a
great asset to the local Administration. They were so wrong! He was not a
people person, & a bit of a dweep besides, & indeed, may in his own person
be numbered among the contributory factors to the Great Trek.

I do not consider him a definitive representative of his kind. By way of
recompence the Voortrekkers were met in the deep interior by an 'English'
American, the Rev. Lindlay, a missionary who could give them spiritual
solace in their own Protestant Confession & seriously impressed them with
his frontier wisdom & ordinary horse sense.

Rumour hath it that Gnl. Smuts could exchange simple chaff with F. D.
Roosevelt, each in their respective home dialects. Certainly he is quoted as
commenting to journalists that "We two Dutchmen got along famously
together!"

Best of luck in your search,

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L 'Resources' 2006.10.23 (01] [E]

Jaqueline's post reminded me that I have a book on order about the
Ramapo Mountain People - there was discussion of this language which
seems to be less influenced by English and more by Native American
languages than Jersey Dutch.

Cheers,

Pat
--