LL-L 'Songs' 2006.10.24 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 24 14:58:46 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 October 2006 * Volume 04

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L 'Songs' 2006.10.23 (02] [E/German]

Thanks, all - it is interesting that "nothing so becomes a home
(lyrically) as the leaving of it'. Thinking of the Irish songs of exile
reminded me of Harry Belafonte singing 'Jamaica Farewell' and (goodness,
Roger Whittaker's The Last Farewell.

Something in a different league to Roger is Spanish Ladies (see
http://www.contemplator.com/sea/sladies.html)

And to Stephenson's_Requiem_ (his tombstone inscription)

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

And thence to Houseman's poem:

R.L.S.

Home is the sailor, home from sea:
Her far-borne canvas furled
The ship pours shining on the quay
The plunder of the world.

Home is the hunter from the hill:
Fast in the boundless snare
All flesh lies taken at his will
And every fowl of air.

'Tis evening on the moorland free,
The starlit wave is still:
Home is the sailor from the sea,
The hunter from the hill.

I don't think the second two stanzas live up to the expectations of the
first.

And it also inspired Philip Larkin to write 'This be The Verse' - a very
different picture of home life which I won't quote as it may cause
net-nannies to catch this post - but it ends 'Get out as early as you
can, / and don't have any kids yourself'.

Until I had started thinking about this thread, and discovered the RLS
link, i had not thought of "This be the Verse" as being a poem about
home, but now see it very much as a home-poem.

I should say why I asked ... I was surprised by a book of Dutch women's
poetry in translation, to find that none of the poems spoke about home
or house. Do the anthropologists and Cats have it wrong about women's
place being in the home, or is it so (literally) familiar that Dutch
women writers ignore it?

Please keep contributing!

With thanks,

Pat