LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.01 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 1 20:45:26 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 01 September 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Ben J. Bloomgren' [Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.31 (04) [A/D/E/V]

>From Johny to Ron:

Dear Ron,

you wrote:
> This brings to mind English "brat," contemptuous for 'child', implying
> 'ill-behaved child'. _The Oxford English Dictionary_ explains that the
> origin of
> "brat" in this sense is uncertain,
Could this _brat_ perhaps be the origin of or related to our Low-Saxon
_Briit'_,
in its first meaning 'a naughty boy'?
In older discussions we assumed it to derive from 'british', 'Britain', but
hadn't been sure about.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

I've always thought that brat came somehow from Britanny.
Ben

----------

From: 'Karl-Heinz Lorenz' [Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.01 (02) [E]

Beste Luc!

It’s said, that German and Dutch have about 50+% of its vocabulary in common,
LS/LG even 90+%. Actually this is more an etymological Befund. If you take a
close look at the meanings, the number of common words is smaller.

For German speakers English can be helpful in this chaos of false friends, confer
the Dutch modal verbs mogen/durven/moeten/zullen. They look like German
mögen/dürfen/müssen/sollen, but the meanings are closer to English
may/dare/must/shall. Or German Kopf/Haupt, D kop/hoofd, E cup/head. I think LS
goes parallel with D, at least partly.

I wonder if LS stolt is closer to D stout or German stolz, brav in LS more E
brave or German/D brav/braaf.

“Geil” is obviously also used in an agricultural context, we could also derive a
verb “geilen” In German this would be geilt-geilst-geilt-geilen-geilt-geilen. In
some German and Dutch varieties it would be „jeilt/jeild“. So I wonder, if the
English etymological equivalent is “yield”. What about that? Just a thought.

Karl-Heinz