LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.02 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 2 22:02:47 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 02 September 2006 * Volume 01

From: 'Marcel Bas' [roepstem at hotmail.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.01 (03) [E]

Hi Karl-Heinz!

You wrote:

> In German this would be geilt-geilst-geilt-geilen-geilt-geilen. In
>some German and Dutch varieties it would be „jeilt/jeild“. So I wonder, if the
>English etymological equivalent is “yield”. What about that? Just a thought.

As far as I know (I don't have my etymological dictionary at hand) _yield_ is
related to German _Geld_. Hence _sich gelten_. _geil_ could be at least related
to _glue_, but my impression is that this is a derivative from a Romance
language. Anyway, I think that the basic maening of all words related to _geil_
should be traced back to something like _fatty_, _slibbery_, _fertile_ and the
like. Cf. G. _gleiten_, E. _glide_, D. _glijden and _glad_, etc.

Best regards,

Marcel.